Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Discussion] Can a galaxy have more then just 150 planets?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Apr 15, 2012, 2:05:10 PM
In the galaxy generation and player start thread I saw this:

"Galaxy size

Galaxy size is defined in parsecs, and is directly related to the Galaxy size the player chooses.

A galaxy size is linked to a defined number of planets, but this can be overridden by specific galaxy settings."

So if the default settings can be "overridden" does that mean you can go beyond the 150 planets per galaxy setting? Would I for example, be able to have over 300 planets?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 15, 2012, 2:33:56 PM
Would you, for example, choose

A) A huge galaxy i.e. 150 systems

and

B) a dense galaxy (Multiplier of 1,5)

then you can get a galaxy of 225 systems.

considering that you can have 0 to 6 planets ( I think) pro system... means a potential 1350 planets to colonize, max. smiley: smile

I think it is the maximum atm, from what I read in this thread: /#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13120-galaxy-generation-and-player-start
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 15, 2012, 4:25:50 PM
Sharidann wrote:
Would you, for example, choose

A) A huge galaxy i.e. 150 systems

and

B) a dense galaxy (Multiplier of 1,5)

then you can get a galaxy of 225 systems.

considering that you can have 0 to 6 planets ( I think) pro system... means a potential 1350 planets to colonize, max. smiley: smile

I think it is the maximum atm, from what I read in this thread: /#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13120-galaxy-generation-and-player-start

Ah! But it is important not to mix planets with systems.

Peraps I am wrong, but doesn't the management only work on a system wide level with it not being possible to build things on individual planets? If this is not the case then please correct me.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 18, 2012, 9:57:09 AM
One of the things I immediately liked about the galaxy layout for Endless Space was the fact that it looked manageable. Too many recent 4X space games have impaled themselves on the galaxy size and the manageability of a large interstellar empire. I think the developer team has recognized and made a conscious effort (from what I've read so far) to address this issue throughout their design process - a VERY important thing in my humble opinion.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 18, 2012, 10:14:24 AM
A quote from the FAQ thread regarding the max number of stars, in case anyone missed it:

skamaks wrote:

We reduced it a bit, to 133 systems, nearly 800 planets at most, available on huge galaxies and high density. This was decided mainly for gameplay reasons.

0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 18, 2012, 11:46:22 AM
Raptor wrote:
A quote from the FAQ thread regarding the max number of stars, in case anyone missed it:

That'll be fine for me - I never play these games on HUGE maps but I imagine some people will be dissapointed. I would have thought the option would be there even if it wasn't recommended per-se from Dev perspective?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 18, 2012, 7:07:24 PM
Bringing down the max amount is probably a good move, I'm sure even with 133 systems it's going to be very taxing late game (and hey, if you want more, that's the beauty of mod support!).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 18, 2012, 7:32:59 PM
Courth wrote:
Bringing down the max amount is probably a good move, I'm sure even with 133 systems it's going to be very taxing late game (and hey, if you want more, that's the beauty of mod support!).

I did consider the possibility of mod support for this but if it's not technically demanding I don't see the issue with galactic size being completely user defined. Whatever floats your boat smiley: smile
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment