Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Discussion] Planetary Defence/Balance issues

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 9:36:46 AM
Hi, just tossing in a few of my thoughts.

Currently we have a disturbing amount of researchable little boosts we can apply to a system to influence its production values, and that quite literally. At turn ~500-1000 you get lost in the amount of it.

Meanwhile the only form of planetary defences is passive ones (bunkers and such). I dont know whether this is to force ship/ship zone control or just got forgotten, but i seriously miss active planetary/system defenses, such as mine field, orbital/ground based cannons and so on. Personally, i dont like the idea of having only ships for defense.

The second issue would be weapons.

Kinetic seems vastly overpowered compared to missiles an energy. Missile packs a punch, but its more than slow reload time cant keep up with it.

1 shot/phase is pretty problematical and energy weapons... well i dont know. It just seems to me that they are still out damaged by kinetics. Medium rate of fire, medium damage, but overall it just wont cut it.

Third issue: research

Its not really... working?

I mean, as you gather research points, older technologies become 1 turn things that everybody will research anyway, so in the very end, research offers no diversion.

In MoO you were offered 1 choice out of 3 possibilities on 10 different levels. This ensured that no matter what you researched, you had to trade off something else, making your choices unique in design.

Here, its just a bunch of clicks with no real meaning to it. (yes yes i know it still matters what and when you choose, but it still lacks depth)

Lastly: Influence.

Donno how the AI works its planets but the radius of their planets is always staggering compared to mine. Adding heroes to a planet which do hardcore boost on all 4 elements, still wont make as big influence radiuses as the AI creates so casually on almost every of its systems.

Ty for reading. Our opinions might ofc differ.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 11:45:06 AM
Aerensiniac wrote:
Third issue: research - Its not really... working?

I mean, as you gather research points, older technologies become 1 turn things that everybody will research anyway, so in the very end, research offers no diversion.

Yes, I have noticed this although it looks like the tech tree branches out more later in the game?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 11:52:24 AM
Aerensiniac wrote:
Kinetic seems vastly overpowered compared to missiles an energy. Missile packs a punch, but its more than slow reload time cant keep up with it. 1 shot/phase is pretty problematical and energy weapons... well i dont know. It just seems to me that they are still out damaged by kinetics. Medium rate of fire, medium damage, but overall it just wont cut it.

Kinetic has however the worst accuracy. Missiles are super accurate compared to Kinetic. But I agree that it is the strongest one. I only used Kinetic on my ship and during the first phase it's awful and during the second phase it dose some hits. During the last wave it reaches what you stated as overpowered.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 12:24:20 PM
Its kinda fun cause I am using only beam / missiles on my ships and there is nothing alive past medium range. Its more about what kind of defense you opponent has tho
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 12:46:52 PM
Inquisitioner wrote:
Kinetic has however the worst accuracy. Missiles are super accurate compared to Kinetic. But I agree that it is the strongest one. I only used Kinetic on my ship and during the first phase it's awful and during the second phase it dose some hits. During the last wave it reaches what you stated as overpowered.
You are right, however you forget that kinetic fires multiple times through a phase, each time 10* salvos.

Even during first phase my ships usually make mince meat out of enemy vessels.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 6:29:16 PM
Form what I saw missiles felt overpowered. They fire in the first phase with good accuracy and just kill at least some ships. Less return fire means kinetics and beam wont be as effective. When I spammed missiles nothing survives the long range phase.

But maybe our different experiences stem from different technologies researched by the player and AI's.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment