Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Discussion] Forced expansion = endless war

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 10:40:41 AM
Hi all,

I've noticed a trend in the games i've been playing. In order to remain competitive i've been forced to expand relentlessly to gain access to new resources. The problem with this is the huge diplomatic penalty with other races for doing so.

They always declare war on me due to this. The AI will never make peace with me unless I start capturing their systems... which in turn incurrs another penalty with other races due to my mass expansion again...

We need another option rather than capturing worlds or building colonies, either planetary bombardment or the ability to use ships to harvest resources around uncolonised planets. This might keep the AI in my good books and prevent me from having to colonise everything in sight!

Your thoughts?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 10:50:54 AM
I understand. My first game I was trying to play it peacefully and and had about three star systems when I ran into another faction who almost immediately declared war for what seemed like no reason.

I think it makes sense to colonize everything in sight, but some races shouldn't be penalized for doing it at their own rate. Maybe better AI's is the key to this problem. For instance, as I was playing Sophons (most peaceful of the races), I was shocked when another Sophon faction basically declared war on sight. And here I thought we could work together :S
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 10:52:53 AM
Theirs a saying "The fittest will survive..." Even in mans evolution on this planet Earth we have conquered other lands which has incurred penalties. Having said that the AI is being tuned so lets see...
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 12:07:13 PM
At the moment the AI seems a bit too concerned with killing everything in sight(even the nice guys). Its a known issue actually, part of the balancing will be to tweak how the AI reacts on a diplomatic scale, and what irritates them or not. I cant get an ally to save my life either, so id just assume that its something that will be fixed.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 12:11:04 PM
Maybe it could be interesting to give a FIDS bonus to Empires that didn't colonised/conquered new world for a moment.

There will be to strategies: expand and get more ressources (investing ressources in this expansion) or concentrate ressources in consoliding the Empire.

It makes sense for me.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 12:43:35 PM
Boygor wrote:
Hi all,

I've noticed a trend in the games i've been playing. In order to remain competitive i've been forced to expand relentlessly to gain access to new resources. The problem with this is the huge diplomatic penalty with other races for doing so.

They always declare war on me due to this. The AI will never make peace with me unless I start capturing their systems... which in turn incurrs another penalty with other races due to my mass expansion again...

We need another option rather than capturing worlds or building colonies, either planetary bombardment or the ability to use ships to harvest resources around uncolonised planets. This might keep the AI in my good books and prevent me from having to colonise everything in sight!

Your thoughts?
Diplomacy in the alpha = fuxd
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 12:50:07 PM
Boygor wrote:
Hi all,

Your thoughts?

I had a game with two cravers, a horatio and one united empire.

In the end the cravers tried to annihilate everything and I as the little sophon was the only one who could hold them back (with lots of technological overpowering...), so the united empire and horatio suddenly liked me and worshipped me as their saviour. Made an alliance with them and the relations were "warm". XD
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 12:53:27 PM
Sadi wrote:
Maybe it could be interesting to give a FIDS bonus to Empires that didn't colonised/conquered new world for a moment.

There will be to strategies: expand and get more ressources (investing ressources in this expansion) or concentrate ressources in consoliding the Empire.

It makes sense for me.

It would help if you had the ability to colonize most/all planets in the beginning, but with a cap of 1 or 2 in population and maybe -1 or -2 in food production per population. Maybe also something along the lines of SoaSE where a planet gets - 10 % in production for every link it is away from the main capital.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 12:54:24 PM
So what your saying is, they will try to kill you always, but if they start getting killed, and you kill their agressor, they will... kind of like you? A lil bit? lol

WTB way to make people happy. :3
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 12:58:48 PM
Estam_nar wrote:
So what your saying is, they will try to kill you always, but if they start getting killed, and you kill their agressor, they will... kind of like you? A lil bit? lol

WTB way to make people happy. :3

Not a little bit. They'll totally adore you! smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 1:01:20 PM
Aye, in the few games I've played it has been a pain to expand and yet still keep in everyone's good books.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment