Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Discussion] Heroes - They have too much implicit information.

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 6:53:46 PM
Heroes right now, feel a bit unpredictable unless you know the game well enough.

Sure enough, when you see administrator, you assume that they will administrate, but how will he look at level 20?

I really liked the hero system of Master of Orion II and Master of Magic in this sense, as they already at level 1 had the stats they would at level 20, and the stats simply grew as they levelled. I know you are probably trying to leave it more up to us to customize the heroes, but all you really do, is give us the option of creating a few types.

1: The Development hero: Administrator, Focuses on Labor, taking all Bonus food abilities, and the +Production bonuses later. This hero moves from system to system to boost them up faster.

2: The Governing hero: Corporate, Focuses on Wit, taking all bonuses to research and dust. This hero gets parked permanently in your highest dust/research production systems.

3: The Strike Force hero: Commander, Focuses on Offense, Tactician, then Veteran/Team spirit.

Optional 4: The Planet Assault hero: Adventurer, Focuses on Melee. Veteran, Master Hacker, Snare, Ground Pounder.

So all this fancy schmancy letting people mess around with a lot of things trying to let them customize, really boils down to those 3 or 4, and the added complexity and lack of transparency it causes does not in my opinion weigh up for it.

How to fix?

If you wish to keep the current system, I'd suggest putting up a tree star similar to the research tree, so that people know what they are heading into before heading that way.

If you can break out of the current system, I'd suggest giving heroes starting attributes that grow as they level, with an occational player selectable non-stat trait.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 7:04:54 PM
I think heroes should be more specialized. Pretty much any hero can do pretty much anything at this point. In addition, I'd love it if heroes were also race specific.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 7:45:27 AM
A tree would really help out, so you know where you are going, and you are not flying blind.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 1:01:32 PM
VieuxChat wrote:
I'd like to have the skill tree of heroes somewhere.

Yep, by now, having produced about 5 lvl 20 heroes during gameplay, I tend to know what to expect where, but a skilltree would be very nice. It was all trial and error for me, so far.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 3:18:37 PM
Monarch wrote:
I think heroes should be more specialized. Pretty much any hero can do pretty much anything at this point. In addition, I'd love it if heroes were also race specific.

This sounds good. I agree because if you balance the skills out you can have an awesome fleet commander and governor in the same hero, regardless of race.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment