Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Discussion] Endothermic Structures and moons

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 10:56:38 PM
From the description of Endothermic Structures, and from what it does for tiny planets, I have to wonder why it doesn't give at least +1 population to explored moons if not +2?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 7:47:39 AM
From the technology description, stating that energy is won out of environmental heat, moons are simply too cold for endothermic structures to be effective, I'd guess.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 9:59:40 AM
Size has no direct effect on temperature.

The moon on earth gets extremely hot, and extremely cold this is because it has no atmosphere to regulate that temperature.

I would assume a tiny planet is based off of a planet like mercury which size wise is not much bigger than our moon and temperature wise has the exact same problem the moon has in that it has no atmosphere to regulate its temperature. Of course mercury also has a tidal lock problem and its nearness to the sun as well.

But my point is that size has nothing to do with the temperature except as it relates to how hard it is to keep an atmosphere and even if it did moons can be as large as planets so that makes that point moot. For example: Titan had a bigger diameter than Mercury.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 10:21:01 AM
They are building giagantic spaceships, they should be able to have a moon base, at least for +1 or so. You can farm there, you can live there.

Lower gravity means also easier starting, so they could have a moon production bonus on ships. Or a defense base, or a scanner array.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 9:39:17 PM
Nycidian wrote:
Size has no direct effect on temperature.

The moon on earth gets extremely hot, and extremely cold this is because it has no atmosphere to regulate that temperature.

I would assume a tiny planet is based off of a planet like mercury which size wise is not much bigger than our moon and temperature wise has the exact same problem the moon has in that it has no atmosphere to regulate its temperature. Of course mercury also has a tidal lock problem and its nearness to the sun as well.

But my point is that size has nothing to do with the temperature except as it relates to how hard it is to keep an atmosphere and even if it did moons can be as large as planets so that makes that point moot. For example: Titan had a bigger diameter than Mercury.

First: If moons are hotter and colder in turns, for your colonists you would first gain energy by converting heat to energy, then loose it by heating to not have them freeze to death. Since neither process will have an efficiency of one, you will loose energy in the process.

Second: I agree that there is no direct relation of size and temperature, but at least judging from our solar system there seems to be the indirect effect that smaller planets are closer to the sun and therefore have a warmer temperature. (luckily pluto is not considered a planet anymore, otherwise this point would be moot XD)

Third: The developers probably just wanted a building that evened out the population malus for tiny and small planets and had to come up with some tech explanation for this. To be constructive, we should probably rather propose a better explanation for tiny and small planets to suddenly hold more population, while medium, large and huge don't.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 10:33:54 PM
SmilingWorlock wrote:
They are building giagantic spaceships, they should be able to have a moon base, at least for +1 or so. You can farm there, you can live there.

Lower gravity means also easier starting, so they could have a moon production bonus on ships. Or a defense base, or a scanner array.

I don't understand how you colonize asteroids and gas-giants, but not moons. Makes no sense.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment