Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Discussion] Ship/Fleet Upgrading or Retrofitting

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 9:46:22 PM
I have yet to see this feature recommended in these forums. An upgrade system that allows you to spend dust or turns to retrofit an existing ship to an upgraded design. It's very annoying when I have to scrap all my ships and build new ones just to keep my fleets up-to-date with the best technology.

Other than that, I freakin' love the game so far smiley: biggrin

I really enjoy the combat! Very interesting take on a tactical battle. To me, its the perfect mix of cinematic battles and tactical input from the player. Keep it up guys! smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 9:55:59 PM
That functionality is currently in the game. As long as you just modify the original design and never delete it then any ships built off any version of the original design can be retrofitted to the updated design.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 10:05:56 PM
I do make use of the Retrofit option, but it should be possible to retrofit ships to a design using the same chassis as their original chassis.

Since you can rip out every module when updating a design and since a completely new design using the same chassis only differs in the modules assigned, it makes very little sense not to be able to retrofit a scout into a defender when you colonise the system they scouted or retrofit defenders into scouts when the larger chassis types become available, for example.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 10:11:03 PM
I agree that it would be a good addition to do what you are recommending and it would reduce quite a bit of hassle and complexity to the retrofit. Like a manual and auto retrofit option where the auto does what we have now and the manual is like what you are suggesting right?

From your first post it seemed like you were unaware of the current retrofitting system so I wanted to let you know that it did exist smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 10:11:13 PM
You can already retrofit a ship of a design to a ship design modified from its original design.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 10:14:14 PM
ArrowLance wrote:
You can already retrofit a ship of a design to a ship design modified from its original design.

I think the suggestion is for a straight up blueprint swap and/or manual retrofit instead of having to keep track of the original design which will also allow for more divergent retrofitting without adding lots of versioning complexity i.e. I want to make 2 of my scouts missile ships and 1 a heavily armored kinetic weapon ship which is doable but not necessarily easy or intuitive with the current system.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 10:23:12 PM
Oh, I actually had no idea the upgrading thing was already in place lol. However, if I'm understanding the current system correctly, if Scout has a kinetic weapon/mod on it, and then you finish research missiles and want to replace the kinetic mod with a missile mod, you can't "upgrade" the old design, right? You have to make a new design and ship entirely. A new system where you could manually choose the design to upgrade to, as long as the hulls are the same, would be very much appreciated smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 10:36:15 PM
Yes you could, just edit/modify the original design and put in the missiles instead of kinetics and then retrofit when the fleet is in a system you control.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 10:40:01 PM
Xiupan wrote:
Oh, I actually had no idea the upgrading thing was already in place lol. However, if I'm understanding the current system correctly, if Scout has a kinetic weapon/mod on it, and then you finish research missiles and want to replace the kinetic mod with a missile mod, you can't "upgrade" the old design, right? You have to make a new design and ship entirely. A new system where you could manually choose the design to upgrade to, as long as the hulls are the same, would be very much appreciated smiley: smile

No you can. You can go missiles from a kinetic build. The other thing you said isn't in the game as far as I know though. If you have 2 battleship designs, you cannot retrofit from one to each other. You can only retrofit those "fit the design". Why don't you play a bit more to see for yourself?
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment