Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Discussion] Movement tech-ups don't scale well with engine tech-ups

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 9:20:18 PM
I don't buy and install engines in any of my ships, because the tiny little +2 ~ +5 move bonus will quickly be swamped by all the move increase techs.

About 85% of all possible movement bonus is from tech tree enhancements, not engines.

So why waste all that space on the hugest piece of installable equipment?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 9:42:57 PM
AngleWyrm wrote:
I don't buy and install engines in any of my ships, because the tiny little +2 ~ +5 move bonus will quickly be swamped by all the move increase techs.

About 85% of all possible movement bonus is from tech tree enhancements, not engines.

So why waste all that space on the hugest piece of installable equipment?

Because advanced engines provide +move for the fleet, so I always have a 1 cp scout ship among my designs and put one of those with increased sight range, best engine and only defense in my fleets.

Makes the fleets faster and helps me see where the enemies are coming from and going to.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 9:46:37 PM
I have gotten used to putting one scout ship in with all those nifty bonuses and the fleet repair mods.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 9:51:36 PM
Have you tried taking those fleets into combat? Corvettes are...fragile. They die real quick.

Or are you saying the bonus stacks with itself? Can you add a +1 for each ship in the fleet, to get +5 on top of the ship bonus?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 9:56:34 PM
AngleWyrm wrote:
Have you tried taking those fleets into combat? Corvettes are...fragile. They die real quick.

Or are you saying the bonus stacks with itself? Can you add a +1 for each ship in the fleet, to get +5 on top of the ship bonus?

I've taken lots of corvettes into battle. With a little resists and armour they can hide well enough in big fleets, and they are cheap to replace so when you do lose them it isn't a big deal. And since I often end up with odd numbered cp and I like to have all battleship fleets (resists ftw) I can pop one in without sacrificing any real firepower.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 10:17:42 PM
I am currently on turn 145, and my NORMAL movement speed is 32.

+1 to +3 is nothing. It doesn't help. And it's not worth 40 hull spaces or a fleet cap loss.

Ship engine bonuses are too small and too costly. They need a buff.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 10:55:59 PM
Warp travel (Moving outside of the lanes)
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 5:11:18 PM
I'm 60 hours into the game and I agree with the OP. I think that I only install engines on colony ships, early on in the game.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment