Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Discussion - Poll] Gas Giant Improvements

Change gas giant type Methane to Nitrogen
Allow "terraforming" of gas giants between the 3 gas types
Include or allow species who start on gas giants to have individual FIDSP bonuses.
Don't care/don't want
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 1:49:49 PM
craigbic wrote:
The link doesn't appear to be working because when I click on it in Google Chrome it brings up a blank untitled page and when I click on it in IE, it doesn't do anything at all. I had previously read the linked thread though so no worries. I voted for 2 & 3.

Steph'nie wrote:
Doesn't work for me either. Might be because I moved some threads.. :eek: Sowwwy.

Nope everything is fine, I just fixed it, thanks for pointing it out. Some weird format error, must've been my error while editing the post but have no clue how I managed that.

Edit: Now I see what you're talking about Steph'nie. Cool to see some changes made smiley: biggrin, I'm going to be on my toes if that really causes some links to stop working.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 12:24:06 AM
KNC wrote:
I thought along these lines, that would be good as well. Actually I'm really surprised by the voting results, as everyone seems to vote for 3 without considering 2. But at this point I feel I made everything clear so I'll leave the general opinion to the community.

I think it may have something to do with the whole concept of terraforming a GG in the first place. The 3rd option rings of logic, if your a Jovian species, your natural environment would be like the equivalent for example of a Terran enjoying a Terran environment and therefore you'd naturally gain smiley: fids bonuses from occupying such astral bodies. This sits well.

The whole idea of changing the composition of a GGs dominant gas? Well I wrote a reply to your other Thread about such an idea. I can understand why some folks are not too pro this.

I'm thinking theres a whole new line of science just there for SciFi to investigate. I know authors like the late Arthur C. Clark had pondered on Jovians and what Sci Fi can do with them.

Maybe some other folks can point to the possibilities of this kind of thing?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 11:15:39 PM
Gas-giant based race would be very interesting. Like the Slylandro.

They would know A LOT about clouds.

Disregard the music.

BTW Star Control is such a nice source of new race ideas (new for the Endless Space). Just look at the Mycon and their backstory.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 11:10:57 PM
It'd be nice if we could tranform one type of gas giant to another. Sure, it'd take much, much more smiley: industry to build, but in the end getting another 100~ smiley: industry is worth it. Seriously, with all my research completed and all my planets jungled, transforming that helium giant is the only thing left to do.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 12:29:24 PM
StK wrote:
edit: But then again.. for this race it would be really important to be able to terraform those planets... maybe only make that race able to do it?

I thought along these lines, that would be good as well. Actually I'm really surprised by the voting results, as everyone seems to vote for 3 without considering 2. But at this point I feel I made everything clear so I'll leave the general opinion to the community.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 4:10:57 AM
The 2nd Idea falls for me under: Why not? We can terraform everything else why not the Gas planets.. but its nothing i would think of as very important

but I really like the 3rd Idea because it would add to the diversity of the game... and it needs all kinds to make a (living) galaxy.

edit: But then again.. for this race it would be really important to be able to terraform those planets... maybe only make that race able to do it?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 3:51:51 AM
KNC wrote:
I apparently can't emphasize it enough but it isn't about it being possible, but rather if it should be in the game. There is a discussion about whether that is possible in the discussion thread I linked, and I very much think terraforming an gas giant isn't necessarily harder than terraforming another harsh planet, it just works different. It's also not about exchanging the entire gas it's about changing the balance. When you give a terran planet an "Oxygen" atmosphere that doesn't mean 99% oxygen, 20% might just be sufficient.

As I said, vote whether you want to have it in the game for gameplay reasons, not whether it feels like a stretch, the game has some things which are at least thrice as unrealistic.

Even if I want it in the game or not is a toss-up.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 2:27:15 AM
Draco18s wrote:
One *cough, three* line comment on terraforming:

Terraforming between the three types is too unrealistic. We're talking exchanging thousands of earth-masses worth of gas here (equivalent to building a planet from scratch, which can't be done by any of the races with any tech). It'd be far more reasonable to let us terraform the gas giants into non-jovian types! Within the context of the game and "soil revivification" and so on, yeah, maybe they could do it, but to me it's too much of a stretch.

I apparently can't emphasize it enough but it isn't about it being possible, but rather if it should be in the game. There is a discussion about whether that is possible in the discussion thread I linked, and I very much think terraforming an gas giant isn't necessarily harder than terraforming another harsh planet, it just works different. It's also not about exchanging the entire gas it's about changing the balance. When you give a terran planet an "Oxygen" atmosphere that doesn't mean 99% oxygen, 20% might just be sufficient.

As I said, vote whether you want to have it in the game for gameplay reasons, not whether it feels like a stretch, the game has some things which are at least thrice as unrealistic.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 1:20:06 AM
If terraforming Gas Giants is allowed to be possible it should be like the last terraforming tech available or make it only for Jovian races (I don't think there is going to be in this game unless modded in).
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 2:25:40 PM
Change gas giant type Methane to Nitrogen

Yes, makes sense to me. I don't really care, but it's pretty reasonable.

Allow "terraforming" of gas giants between the 3 gas types

No, but....

Include or allow species who start on gas giants to have individual

Yes, I like this. It makes sense too. I may need to be balanced with another faction trait (the reverse of Crowded Planets, or somesuch).

One *cough, three* line comment on terraforming:

Terraforming between the three types is too unrealistic. We're talking exchanging thousands of earth-masses worth of gas here (equivalent to building a planet from scratch, which can't be done by any of the races with any tech). It'd be far more reasonable to let us terraform the gas giants into non-jovian types! Within the context of the game and "soil revivification" and so on, yeah, maybe they could do it, but to me it's too much of a stretch.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 12:45:13 PM
This is merely a poll for the devs to see which ideas are popular, it's about this thread: [Suggestions] Gas Giants

Don't forget to read the linked thread before voting.

I'll summarize in a few sentences what this is about:

1. Exchange Methane gas giants for Nitrogen due to realism. This is also somewhat important for the 2nd suggestion.

2. Allow for "terraforming" between the gas types.

I'll have to clear something up here.

This isn't about the possibilities of "terraforming" a gas giant, it's about the gameplay. If you feel it is too unrealistic then read or discuss in the linked thread, there is plenty of stuff for thought.

3. Allow more population for species who live naturally on gas giants.

(Whether this suggestion actually makes sense depends a lot on the current structure and if it can be just modded later of course)
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 1:46:58 PM
craigbic wrote:
The link doesn't appear to be working because when I click on it in Google Chrome it brings up a blank untitled page and when I click on it in IE, it doesn't do anything at all. I had previously read the linked thread though so no worries. I voted for 2 & 3.

Doesn't work for me either. Might be because I moved some threads.. :eek: Sowwwy.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 1:45:07 PM
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 1:34:12 PM
Fortunately it's not that bad yet smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 1:26:51 PM
FinalStrigon wrote:
Oh, how...wow...*facepalm*

Leave it to me to miss the gigantic red header. Sorry about that...

Nevermind I just edited it so that it's not going to be missed again, it wasn't big and red when you first looked smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 1:18:19 PM
FinalStrigon wrote:
I like 1 and 3, but I don't understand how you could "terraform" a gas giant. All I could think of would be siphoning away all of the Nitrogen, for example, and replacing it with Helium, but that strikes me as a bit unrealistic--even for a sci-fi game.

Well there's already a detailed discussion and examples for that in the thread I linked, which is why I linked it here in the first place.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 1:15:58 PM
I like 1 and 3, but I don't understand how you could "terraform" a gas giant. All I could think of would be siphoning away all of the Nitrogen, for example, and replacing it with Helium, but that strikes me as a bit unrealistic--even for a sci-fi game.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment