[Discussion - Poll] The Empty ES Poll

Yes it does
Maybe a little, add some options
No it doesn't
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 11:22:32 AM
Early game things do feel kind of empty, but that's really how it should be... the players are still fledgling empires made up of a handful of solarsystems.

As you get further into mid and late game however, empires expand and what was previously empty areas become potential border disputes, outposts that need defending until they're colonies, moving fleets around etc.

Perhaps it would be nice if there were a few more options in the shape of empire deployable assets to spice things up a bit so everything isn't just solar systems and fleets but there's time to add in more tools after the core is stable and balanced and the game has been released (most likely in the form of expansion products)... as such things aren't really critical to game enjoyment but rather icing that belongs in the "It would be nice to add this isn't release if the team got all their work done a month ahead of schedule" pile in my opinion. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 4:13:31 AM
I still agree that ES feels a little too empty, but we are on the right track. So far if all the relevant suggestions which have been made are added to the game it will feel a lot different.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 3:47:34 AM
I think it would be kinda cool for a random event where your empire found a drifting endless orbiting a planet that was damaged but through breakthroughs in science and a little bit of dust you get a powerful ship. This could be a rare event, and the ship wouldn't exactly be game breaking. The event could go like this " You empire, after exploring a system, found a derelict endless ship orbiting a planet. Through a series of intense research programs and a small upkeep fee your empire was able to bring the ship back online giving you a small advantage in future engagements." The upkeep could be like 5 dust a turn and you have an option to choose yes or no.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 9:44:50 PM
I think you should ad some utterly useless objects to the star system. Just to create some vararity. Also more than 6 planets would be nice. Could be cool if you could find our solar system in the game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 7:46:22 PM
It would be so hard to keep track of everything if there were that many planets. You'd spend most of your time cycling through your planets/systems just trying to keep track of what everything had. I don't know about you, but that level of micromanagement doesn't seem fun to me...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 11:11:54 AM
haha yeah that DEFINATELY doesn't make any sense, you could make a solar system with about 200 planets in it :S its still an awesome game though!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 7:10:02 AM
"Hi, I came here for an argument."

"No, you didn't."

"Yes I did"

"No you didn't!"

"Wait, this isn't an argument, it's just contradiction!"

. . .

"No it isn't"

"Yes it is!"
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 4:07:12 PM
Apart from the brilliant advances in graphics, ES feels like its a game that could have been released in the mid- to late- 90's. Gaming-wise, I don't remember one game from the 90's that didn't fell empty compared to some games now-a-days.

As for a cure, the way the galaxy map is presented in addition to the turn-base nature of the game may preclude many of the "living" elements that work for other games.

Nimrod wrote:
... manage things by solar system and not by planet it doesn't really make any sense.

Try "Sins of a Solar Empire": 100+ planetary bodies in one system makes even less sense. smiley: confused
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 3:25:14 PM
It does feel like theres something missing from it and an empty space to be filled (new game title maybe? :P) I think it needs more planet interaction, I don't like how you manage things by solar system and not by planet it doesn't really make any sense.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 2:01:16 PM
If you mean that it feels vast and empty, then no. No many turns passes by until you meet either pirates or other factions. I think that the size of the maps should be increased a lot. Thus making it possible to have more crazy things. A pirate system. Single system/planet factions (like civ v). All these things make the universe feel more alive, and the way you handle these encounters should shape what your empire will eventually become.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 3:05:33 PM
Many people pointed out how very flawed my last poll was which is most likely attributed to the fact that I clearly wasn't very smart at the time....in any case I remade it so you can all have your vote.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 8:50:37 AM
Nosferatiel wrote:
The limit of commandpoints (and so how many ships can fight at once) is extendable via technologies in the left techtree. The maximum is about 20 for e.g. cravers, I think.

It's actually 23, if i'm right, and that can make quite a bunch of ships (and tons if you destroyer-kamikaze rush)

Else, well, this is space, so it's empty, but it feels right. Maybe a bit more visual than everything dark, though.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 1:54:07 AM
Micromanagment wrote:
I have not played the game too much, but from what I can tell the largest battles you can have are 5 vs 5, and in my opinion that gives me the empty feeling. I think if they gave you an option for immense space battles, it would really lighten up the game.

The limit of commandpoints (and so how many ships can fight at once) is extendable via technologies in the left techtree. The maximum is about 20 for e.g. cravers, I think.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 12:40:51 AM
I have not played the game too much, but from what I can tell the largest battles you can have are 5 vs 5, and in my opinion that gives me the empty feeling. I think if they gave you an option for immense space battles, it would really lighten up the game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 11:51:48 PM
Well it is still in alpha, right? I mean, ideally, more elements of diplomacy will be introduced, and I personally hope they add some type of espionage system. Any thing to make the game feel a little less like a straight-up war simulator.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 4:41:28 PM
mmm yes some times it does feel empty.... but planetary evolution will solve this a little. I will love to see some things moving in the galaxy though like comets or nebulas smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 3:58:28 PM
Okay, I'll close down your old one, then.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment