Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Discussion] Lacking personality in diplomacy

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 7:49:03 PM
Hi,

I've just recently completed my first game and got an expansion victory and I really liked the overall feel of building up, creating ships etc without everything feeling too 'micromanagey' even though I don't mind that. However, my one main concern is the sheer lack of personality in the single player mode. In terms of the deals made with the AI the responses basically boiled down to "this is acceptable" or "this is not acceptable".

Considering there's little in the way of cinematics in the game (another point I believe to raise in a minute) I'd have liked to have seen some flavour in exchange text fitting in with the personalities of the various races when talking about offers and even an initial greeting. If you try to talk to the Cravers then a scornful response about how you will soon be torn apart, the Sowers could reply with a more neutral message to avoid hindering their expansion as they create a land fit for the Endless etc. The responses could also be tailored to match if you're the same or opposite alignment to those messaging you.

The Amoeba broke peace and declared war on me in that game and I promptly put them down and when they were down to their final couple of systems I got a message pop up simply saying "Amoeba offered cease fire", it kinda felt like a text message saying "friends?" after a girl has torn your heart out ... ok well not that extreme, but it'd be more interesting if there was either some begging in there (with offers of gifts for peace?) or a more obstinate "we demand you accept this ceasefire now!" tone. Based on how you respond then a pleased thank you for accepting (remembered for your mercy in diplomacy) or an angry "I hope you burn / we will fight to the last / you're coming down with us" reply.

On a final note, cinematics ? A 30sec clip after victory would be nice, military you could see a final fleet fight followed by a planet bombardment and an admiral surveying planets changing colour. The tech which lets you become on par with the Endless you could perhaps see one of your followers appearing to some primitive on a new planet as some form of god figure. Some smaller ones during the game could highlight accomplishments such as your first colonization, first military victory, a parade for first hero level up, destroying an enemy race etc.

Keep going with the updates, I look forward to the finished version smiley: cool

Lazerus
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 8:35:47 PM
I agree with you, diplomacy should be more developed, and maybe if a race have their lasts planets in risk could try to federate/become a vassal or something similar...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 2:53:58 PM
I have to assume they're working on this. Usually cinematics are the last thing added. But definitely agree there needs to be a little more emotion in the diplomacy interactions. Obviously this will change, but right now it feels like every race interaction is an anticipation of war at some point in time.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 3:46:51 PM
100% agree. Diplomacy is one of the areas that needs the most work. The basic systems are decent, but everything feels very generic.

I would argue that this lack of flavor needs to be addressed in more than just the diplomacy, although diplomacy is one of the main areas that some personality can be added. It would be nice to have a large array of faction-specific events, as these would help to showcase lore and personality, and give the player an area to make decisions that shape their Empire.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 3:51:29 PM
Lazerus wrote:
Hi,

The Amoeba broke peace and declared war on me in that game and I promptly put them down and when they were down to their final couple of systems I got a message pop up simply saying "Amoeba offered cease fire", it kinda felt like a text message saying "friends?" after a girl has torn your heart out ... ok well not that extreme, but it'd be more interesting if there was either some begging in there (with offers of gifts for peace?) or a more obstinate "we demand you accept this ceasefire now!" tone. Based on how you respond then a pleased thank you for accepting (remembered for your mercy in diplomacy) or an angry "I hope you burn / we will fight to the last / you're coming down with us" reply.

Keep going with the updates, I look forward to the finished version smiley: cool

Lazerus

Hahaha Lazerus Classic! lol

Yeah we have alot of good folks discussing the Diplomacy Features and how to improve on them. Would be great seeing those emotive feedbacks and some sort of convo going on in Diplomacy, makes games like Civ that much more up there in fun. Just imagine those Mars Attacks! Film Aliens in a convo, hilarious fun if it turned out Cravers spoke/behaved like that! smiley: mrgreen

Check out the subforum in Game Design for more threads Diplomatic related like this for example linked: here
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment