Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Discussion] Colonising game-play mechanic that put me into rage.

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 12:09:36 PM
I’m slightly annoyed over this but I am not sure what can be done about it. I was playing last night and had a system between my space and Sophon space that had several resources but I could not yet colonise the planet type. Once I unlocked the tech to colonise a planet in the system I sent a warrior and nestship there to colonise it, at the same time the Horatio sent a scout ship there. As we were in Cold War we both just sat in Orbit and the system could not be colonised. I played the waiting game for a few turns but I think it was obvious the Horatio had an eye on the system and were planning to send a seed ship too so I decided to attack them. On the turn I attacked a Sophon ship (whom I was at peace with) entered the system. I won the battle but had to wait until the next turn to colonise, which of course didn’t happen as the Sophons nicked the system in the previous turn after I has won the battle.

Not sure if anything can be done about it, or if it's even a fault more taking advantage of a gameplay mechanic, just thought I would share my rage. smiley: mad

I am now at war with the Sophons. How dare they disrespect me!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 12:26:59 PM
Gadzooky wrote:
I’m slightly annoyed over this but I am not sure what can be done about it. I was playing last night and had a system between my space and Sophon space that had several resources but I could not yet colonise the planet type. Once I unlocked the tech to colonise a planet in the system I sent a warrior and nestship there to colonise it, at the same time the Horatio sent a scout ship there. As we were in Cold War we both just sat in Orbit and the system could not be colonised. I played the waiting game for a few turns but I think it was obvious the Horatio had an eye on the system and were planning to send a seed ship too so I decided to attack them. On the turn I attacked a Sophon ship (whom I was at peace with) entered the system. I won the battle but had to wait until the next turn to colonise, which of course didn’t happen as the Sophons nicked the system in the previous turn after I has won the battle.

Not sure if anything can be done about it, or if it's even a fault more taking advantage of a gameplay mechanic, just thought I would share my rage. smiley: mad

I am now at war with the Sophons. How dare they disrespect me!

All Hail the Gadzooky in their righteous rage! smiley: surprise

I most definitely can sympathsise with you there!

Happened to me a fair few times. Once your Fleet has taken it's one action thats it. Can Understand how annoyed you feel.

I think I tried to split my Fleet but the enemy killed my colony ship which was no good. All I could suggest is to go guns forward and keep systems clear ahead of your rivals as much as you can.

Suggestion to Amp Devs:

What may help to be developed into the game is that once you place a Guard action on a system then an outer ring is exposed where fleets who do enter a system sit on it with two choices, Pass or Engage. If they chooce Pass they must move out of the system next turn, if they choose Engage well thats obvious....

Beat those Sophons up Gadzooky! They harbour too many vilains as it is and seem to thrive all too well without the Pirates holding them in check, never turn your back on em indeed! smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 12:57:25 PM
Dr_Mox wrote:
All Hail the Gadzooky in their righteous rage! smiley: surprise

Suggestion to Amp Devs:

What may help to be developed into the game is that once you place a Guard action on a system then an outer ring is exposed where fleets who do enter a system sit on it with two choices, Pass or Engage. If they chooce Pass they must move out of the system next turn, if they choose Engage well thats obvious....

This seems as a simple solution to the problem. I can still see it abused (in multiplayer), but it is a step in the right direction.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 1:15:11 PM
Well, the tactic makes sense, though. You find a planet you can colonize, with resources you need, why not stick a blockading fleet on there to "claim" it while you get some colony ship over there? It also helps to protect your colony ships, as several times I've had them get to a system I wanted, only to get there and find out that pirates are waiting to murder my colonists, or another empire's fleet is sitting there.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 1:59:37 PM
The whole methodology of the turn system in ES confuses me. Sometimes the enemy attacks you while it's your turn, not theirs or things move about when it's your turn (though it might just be leftover movement from their turn only appearing late) but it seems weird that you can be attacked when it's your turn. :-/

As for the subject itself, I think that the guard option works nicely. Maybe it could look like the blockade but with crosses instead of a ring of lines?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 2:20:21 PM
Hollow wrote:
The whole methodology of the turn system in ES confuses me. Sometimes the enemy attacks you while it's your turn, not theirs or things move about when it's your turn (though it might just be leftover movement from their turn only appearing late) but it seems weird that you can be attacked when it's your turn. :-/

As for the subject itself, I think that the guard option works nicely. Maybe it could look like the blockade but with crosses instead of a ring of lines?

Well, it isn't exactly turn-based in the sense I think you're thinking it is. It isn't like, say, Fire Emblem, where you move all your stuff, then the enemy moves all his stuff...Or Total War, where each faction has a separate turn.

In Endless Space, from what I've gathered in the multiplayer, everyone is acting at once in that turn. Everyone's ships are moving, everyone had a turn knocked off of production times and research times. This is why, even when you're playing alone, you can see AI ships moving and be attacked by them. You all share the turn.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 2:32:50 PM
Hollow wrote:

More users seem to have problems with this game's way of being "turn based". What are the developers official stance on this, I wonder?

And I find it hilarious that people are saying "guard" and "blockade" when it's really called "intercept". I also call it blockade, because that is what I want to be able to do! Again, I wonder what the developers stance on this is?

To me, these are two very fundamental flaws with this game which should have been addressed before entering "beta" stage. And yes, I feel safe in claiming that they are flaws rather than design decisions, partially because of the posts in threads like this.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 3:56:54 PM
eobet wrote:
More users seem to have problems with this game's way of being "turn based". What are the developers official stance on this, I wonder?

And I find it hilarious that people are saying "guard" and "blockade" when it's really called "intercept". I also call it blockade, because that is what I want to be able to do! Again, I wonder what the developers stance on this is?

To me, these are two very fundamental flaws with this game which should have been addressed before entering "beta" stage. And yes, I feel safe in claiming that they are flaws rather than design decisions, partially because of the posts in threads like this.

Multiplayer wise, this is an awesome system, turn based, but still functional in mp. "real turn based" is awfully slow.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment