Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Adaptive Defense Module: Improving the Odds

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Nov 20, 2012, 4:52:18 AM
Hi everyone,

It has become clear that weapons/defense modules, and their uses in combats often present frustrating situations - suicide fleets, rock-paper-scissor, etc.

I think combat strategy can improve by introducing what I call, an adaptive defense module.

In present, we have three defense modules to counter respective incoming projectiles.

I say, let's have a fourth defense module that monitors the phase 2 event (first battle), and assesses enemy weapons specialization based on the damage you take from each weapon (many of weak missiles or few of powerful missiles, both being deadly and considered specialized). This would then initiate overcharge (specialization) of the most important counter against enemy fleets over the course of phase 3 and 4. The least important defense module would lose its effectiveness (face penalty larger in percentage than overcharge) due to the overcharge of the most important.

This presents a great counter against enemies that specialize heavily in one weapon (many weak missiles or few powerful missiles) since your defense will start to specialize against that weapon while penalty to the least important defense module will have little consequence. However, against well-seasoned players that strategically distribute their weapon modules, your defense penalty would mean a lot (remember, penalty is larger than overcharge). How you want to combat such players is up to your discretion (i.e. don't use adaptive defense module in this case, unless you have the improved version as discussed below).

You may be concerned that this will discourage weapons specialization. If you want to win by specializing, your victory may depend on how much you specialized vs. the level of the adaptive defense module your enemy possesses. Other factors like enemy weapons specialization (or no specialization) and whether you carry the adaptive defense module will also matter. Even better, wipe most of your opponent out in phase 2 where they haven't adapted yet.

This module will obviously not guarantee victory over players that specialize, but will certainly improve the odds of winning or surviving. It can help players get a taste of enemy fleets and allow them to adapt through retrofitting. This module should be researched like other modules and become increasingly expensive in weight and strategical resource requirement. Only one can be installed per ship, but improved adaptive modules should be able to maximize overcharge and minimize penalty. Due to the large penalty in the least important defense module, the adaptive defense module can be a double edged sword unless, as mentioned, you equipped the improved version.

The post-battle report should indicate if this module was used by either party, and show % overcharge and % penalty for relevant defense modules. Ships destroyed in phase 2 can contribute to surviving ships' adaptation in the following battle phases. However, only surviving ships that carry the module will benefit from phase 2 events (destroyed ships don't have to carry the module to contribute to surviving ships' adaptation).

Overall, this will add another dimension to the battle that will require more subtle strategies than simply trying to specialize weapons, and players having to resort to a small breadth of strategies in efforts to counter such builds.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 20, 2012, 8:33:12 PM
Another idea from you, nice smiley: smile

I like it, like your other post! But balancing the module might get itchy smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 22, 2012, 12:15:54 AM
Tredecim wrote:
Another idea from you, nice smiley: smile

I like it, like your other post! But balancing the module might get itchy smiley: biggrin

Thanks, mate. Always appreciate support. smiley: smile
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment