Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Endless Space mobile

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Dec 4, 2012, 1:43:02 AM
I've been playing Endless Space for quite some time now and it has come to my attention that it would be possible to make a mobile version of this game.

As technology progresses there have been many hardware improvements on both tablets and phones. Two specific games that lead me to believe that this game would work on a mobile specific platform, Dungeon defenders and Civilization 5.

I mention Dungeon defenders because it is of course multi platform in that you can play with people on desktops with an android tablet or phone, and I mention Civilization 5 because it runs with a touchscreen on Windows 8 tablets.

Tablets have enough power to have and they do not have to be Windows tablets.

I believe there should be a inexpensive version of the game on the android market for the people who own it with a standard version for people who haven't bought the full game online.

I would ask that you add a system to allow people to passively play the multiplayer on the mobile version where people can get mobile alerts that systems are being attacked and such and allow people to play the game in a manner similar to "Words With Friends" on the mobile version.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 4, 2012, 2:31:42 AM
No. Mobile gaming does not exist. *hiss*

Honestly though, i don't see how this would make a good game for mobile 'systems'.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 4, 2012, 7:06:51 AM
There's just too much complexity, too much "stuff" going on for a phone to work well. This is ignoring the Gbs worth of room it'd take up (On such limited memory) and the fact the phone market almost universally shuns deep games in terms of sales.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 5, 2012, 5:05:23 PM
I think that a "mobile" application for Endless Space should be more along the lines of an app that gives you stats, news, upcoming event details, access to the forums, concept art, videos, tips, and guides. But thats my personal preference of what Endless Space Mobile should be should it happen as I am still trying to wrap my head around playing Endless Space on an Iphone(no disrespect).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 5, 2012, 7:48:38 PM
Seriously this is what laptops are for. I understand windows 8 is working on merging the laptop/tablet concepts the way the current mobile OSs have merged phone/tablet but that doesn't make a mobile specific version a good idea.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 9, 2012, 2:48:13 AM
I don't see how ES would make a good mobile game. They would have to thoroughly re-engineer it for smaller screens, with bigger touchable elements, and and lower specs. I've played a couple 4X games on my iPod Touch, the best is Starbase Orion. It is significantly simpler than ES, graphically not so impressive, but it is close to the edge of something that's a pain to play on the small screen of a mobile device.

Either you end up with a game that's not fun to play on most mobile devices, or you end up with a redesigned, simplified game that doesn't have compatible multiplayer.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 9, 2012, 5:26:43 PM
I don't think it'd work at all for a phone, but I think it would be workable for a tablet, as long as it is a full-size (10 inch) tablet. However, it isn't really simple to port games to an iPad or any other platform: they use different assembly language, which means it has to be rewritten from scratch, more or less. But I think the concept of an Endless Space for iPad would be totally workable. The only thing you'd have to do is reduce the quality of textures and models to save space and increase performance and optimize the UI for touch screens. That means making larger hit areas for buttons (like the buyout button, which has a tiny hit area) and making it possible to drag items around to rearrange them in the queue (which can be difficult even with a mouse). So other than the "rewrite all of your code for a different platform" part it'd be fairly easy as long as it stuck to tablets.

As for the passive multiplayer, I think that it is a bit disrespectful to the genre to turn something like this into a slow-paced social game. In other words, my feelings towards this part of your suggestion could be best described as "Over my dead body/mechanism/exoskeleton/pod."
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 2:37:36 PM
I'll be honest, to me, tablets are a joke. Just because my smart phone can do everything a tablet can and I don't have a lot of money. Now it MAY work on a tablet, but I seriously doubt it because the level of multtasking with a touch screen would be very tedious and annoying, at least in my experience.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment