Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Suggestion to change the formula of population growth in Endless Space.

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Mar 15, 2013, 4:06:22 AM
I've played Endless Space for months and I have noticed some details that seem too unrealistic, even for a futuristic game like this. I have seen systems with population growth rate of 150% (one hundred and fifty percent)!! Why do I think this is absurd? Because, based on a human population, to get a growth rate of 7%, we need 100% of couples between 20 and 45 years old having 1 child every year. This would generate families with 25 children! Ok, Endless Space is only a game and only the civilizations of "United Empire" or "Pilgrims" resemble us. But I believe there should be a limit to these numbers.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 15, 2013, 4:14:22 AM
Yeah, they may have gone overboard with that. But, there are ways to increase population growth beyond what is currently possible, like cloning or growing baybies in vats instead of women. In the real world those things are possible but there are many morals and religious reasons not to, but in that game they must not have such limitation.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 15, 2013, 4:35:00 AM
Or, you know how about immigration?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 15, 2013, 5:36:11 AM
Igncom1 wrote:

Would be a great use for influence sphere too : )

But for example GalCiv 2 explained its exorbitant population growth so that your planets arent *united* and the population growth also means that other *nations* on each planet joined your empire.

This+ Baby = Population Growth
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 15, 2013, 5:30:01 PM
Igncom1 wrote:

The growth of the USA in the 2nd half of the 19th century, and the 1st part of the 20th was huge, not too unlike planet growth in ES. I think that with immigration, this is likely to be realistic...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 15, 2013, 5:58:21 PM
Realistic or not, it seems to work reasonably well as a game mechanic.

Which in a game that's not a simulation is really what matters.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 18, 2013, 9:07:59 PM
yeah. population growth is way too fast. maybe 50% current formula should be ok. does enybody know how to mod this??
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 19, 2013, 9:34:09 AM
hoo wrote:
yeah. population growth is way too fast. maybe 50% current formula should be ok. does enybody know how to mod this??

Perhaps you might consider playing on slow?

Different folk like different paced games... and ES has 3 speeds, perhaps not enough, but some folk like things slow, and some don't... population growth is linked to FIDS, and slower growth would only do one thing, slow the game down, and most players wouldn't want that.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 19, 2013, 11:05:33 PM
The Earth's population has doubled in the last 50 years, a rate of growth at approximately 1.4% per year. At a growth rate of 7% per year, one billion people would turn into nearly 30 billion in 50 years. This is of course assuming unlimited food and space, which is not the case. In addition, many of the ES factions are non-human and would not be held to same growth patterns. And finally, a turn can mean different units of time on different speeds, so you may want to double check your math.

Also, if growth were any slower, it would be very difficult to expand your empire early on.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 20, 2013, 3:10:43 AM
Once space becomes profitable, the corporations will highly encourage immigration to places like Mars.

So humanity might then be encouraged to have larger family's with government bonuses, making the average family size 7 or 8 as opposed to more of a 3 or 4 size.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 20, 2013, 4:33:16 AM
This is ignoring the fact that by the time we have the power to bend physics to our whim, long-term pregnancy will probably be rendered obsolete. Why suffer for nine months when we can grow your child and hatch it painlessly?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 20, 2013, 4:38:31 AM
Like having people (Fertilized eggs) being placed in hospital tanks and grown to birthing age instead of pregnancy?

Could eliminate a whole bunch of problems! But could also leave humanity screwed if we suddenly lost our technology due to a disaster.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment