Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

This no population growth while building a colon ship / colony has got to go.

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Jul 2, 2013, 11:11:30 AM
First from the standpoint its down right silly for races to be impacted as such. Did all babies just stop growing once the ship entered the queue? Was it an abort fest? Really, we just plug the girls up and make them hold it for a few years; whatever turns may be?

Second and mostly because it gives an incredible advantage to the Automatons. Since they are played properly by stacking industry they essentially should never suffer the loss of population growth when creating colony ships/colonies. The lose that "turn" of population growth but that is the most they can lose. Now I have not tried putting another one turn item in the queue with the colony ship/colony and finding out if the game is smart enough to penalize them that turn. If not, then its one helluva a way to exploit an advantage.

Now I have heard it mentioned that Pilgrims get an advantage here as well but since I do not ever play that race I cannot confirm that.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 2, 2013, 2:21:58 PM
A game mechanic that gives a big advantage to one race is not worth dropping imo. That specific race can always be adjusted.

I think the new mechanic does a wonderful job of curbing the endless expansion that exists in the classic game, and at least has some believable attributes. It makes sense that a planet has to contribute a lot of its resources to build a ship capable of colonizing another planet. Now the fact that its all growth pushes disbelief a bit, but this is a game where pinches of dust turn you into a superhero....I'm ok with a bit of fiction.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 2, 2013, 5:53:57 PM
Doesn't population growth stop whenever you build a ship, regardless of what it is?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 2, 2013, 8:11:51 PM
Neowitch wrote:
Doesn't population growth stop whenever you build a ship, regardless of what it is?

It's only the Harmony who suffer loss of pop-growth for all ships types. For everyone else, it's just the colony ship.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 2, 2013, 8:29:48 PM
At first i did not like that planets stop growing, but now i find it to make the game better as you can't expand like crazy anymore.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 3, 2013, 2:56:25 AM
Perhaps what would be better would be a food requirement on colony ships. If this is met before the production requirement, after that colonies continue to grow. If the production requirement is met first the excess production would contribute to the next production in the queue. This would slow down growth while not preventing a system's food supply from mattering. The food requirement is easily explained by the colony ship needing food for the journey (It would house a lot more people than a military ship).
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 3, 2013, 3:02:15 AM
I am still firmly in the camp of (My own camp) that every ship is a self contained town with enough of everything to make and do everything, shells, fuel even people!
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment