Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Ship % Tonnage system

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Jul 5, 2013, 1:17:56 AM
To be honest, this feels like lazy design. Other than, say, engines, armor, or maybe powertrain, it makes no sense whatsoever. For the same amount of CP, you can fit twice as many fighters and bombers into DDs compared to DNs- completely illogical.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 5, 2013, 3:42:40 AM
I plan on using the % tonnage for engine, power, scout, and repair modules in my next mod.

It solves a problem I ran into where the game would always install the largest module which crowded out weapons on smaller hulls later in the game.

I agree that using it for anything that provides a fixed benefit is not a good idea. I'll be replacing % tonnage with flat tonnage for those.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 5, 2013, 5:09:17 AM
It was a specific change from vanilla.

Hardly a lazy change.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 5, 2013, 3:32:18 PM
What I don't understand is that tonnage has no bearing in space, lol. It should be called Reinforced Hull or Extra Cargo Holds. Something. I just don't like when you add extra tonnage, it also increases the weight of everything else. Uhhh OK.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 5, 2013, 4:34:32 PM
Bad213Boy wrote:
What I don't understand is that tonnage has no bearing in space, lol.

That is actually not true.

It is impossible for a ship to escape gravity entirely. A ship for example leaving earth towards jupiter fights against the sun's gravity to do so. The more tonnage = the more energy it takes to do that.

Now, tonnage means a lot less than it does in a full planet's gravity well...but its not nothing either.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 5, 2013, 7:31:46 PM
NewAgeOfPower wrote:
Why scout? Makes very little sense.

Scouting modules increase accuracy. A larger ship will have that accuracy apply to more weapons justifying a greater cost in weight.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 6, 2013, 12:35:54 AM
Stalker0 wrote:
That is actually not true.

It is impossible for a ship to escape gravity entirely. A ship for example leaving earth towards jupiter fights against the sun's gravity to do so. The more tonnage = the more energy it takes to do that.

Now, tonnage means a lot less than it does in a full planet's gravity well...but its not nothing either.

Mass has inertia. Even without a gravity well, more mass = more energy to accelerate.

LetoSilvermane wrote:
Scouting modules increase accuracy. A larger ship will have that accuracy apply to more weapons justifying a greater cost in weight.

Right. Half of my Dreadnought has to be sensors to get the same sensor resolution a Corvette has.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 6, 2013, 1:05:02 AM
NewAgeOfPower wrote:
Mass has inertia. Even without a gravity well, more mass = more energy to accelerate.

And to decelerate of course!
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 6, 2013, 3:13:22 AM
NewAgeOfPower wrote:

Right. Half of my Dreadnought has to be sensors to get the same sensor resolution a Corvette has.

No, 10% of your Dreadnaught has to be sensors to get the same sensor resolution and improved accuracy of a Corvette dedicating 10% of it's space to sensors.

In other words, a ship that's twice the size has twice the weapons and twice the space dedicated to targeting which provides twice the benefit. It all seems perfectly balanced to me.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 6, 2013, 4:07:56 AM
Igncom1 wrote:
And to decelerate of course!

Precisely. Hence engines requiring % mass makes perfect sense.

LetoSilvermane wrote:
No, 10% of your Dreadnaught has to be sensors to get the same sensor resolution and improved accuracy of a Corvette dedicating 10% of it's space to sensors.

In other words, a ship that's twice the size has twice the weapons and twice the space dedicated to targeting which provides twice the benefit. It all seems perfectly balanced to me.

This is not the case in real life. A larger sensor array gives exponentially increasing sensor resolution in real life. And even then, Scout packages in Disharmony eat up 460 tons if I were to place them on my 920 ton capacity Dreadnoughts.

7% accuracy and +8 scan radius is definitely not equivalent to adding on 65 weapons modules- play me in a multiplayer match, with the rule that you add Scout Packages to all your warships- every single one of them, and lets see how we fare, eh?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 6, 2013, 1:43:27 PM
I'm not defending Disharmony. I plan on overhauling Disharmony with my next mod.

I'm currently planning on a Sensor 5 (the best) adding 20% accuracy for 10% hull weight (50 on a Dreadnaught). A level 5 weapon (the best) will weigh a flat 50 tons. Depending on the number of weapons and base chance to hit, it will usually be worth adding a sensor suite.

I still think since the accuracy bonus applies to all weapons on a ship, sensor module weight should scale with the size of the ship.

Discussing these details is helpful as I work out the design of the mod.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 6, 2013, 6:02:34 PM
LetoSilvermane wrote:
I plan on using the % tonnage for engine, power, scout, and repair modules in my next mod.

It solves a problem I ran into where the game would always install the largest module which crowded out weapons on smaller hulls later in the game.

I agree that using it for anything that provides a fixed benefit is not a good idea. I'll be replacing % tonnage with flat tonnage for those.

I will be looking for this mod when it comes out.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 7, 2013, 12:43:54 AM
LetoSilvermane wrote:

It takes 50% of my ship currently to get any bonus to sensors, and a piddly accuracy bonus that i would rather trade a whole rack of a weapons for. Its not balanced!
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 7, 2013, 12:58:02 AM
I think a simple change would be to make it so that instead of percent of weight, it's percent of base weight. That way, it'll still chew up a decent portion, but technologies which improve ship capacity, as well as the tonnage modules, are still effective.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment