Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Ship o' Industry

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Aug 12, 2013, 7:16:48 PM
So the idea is that their would be a new module that you could add to a ship, that allows it to be converted back into industry.

Raw Materials:

100 Ind cost

25 tonnes

On scrapping grants 50 ind to current system.

- Scrapping a ship in a system would give industry towards the current system production. If the system has nothing in production then the ship is scrapped as normal. So returns less than 50% of in put industry once you have accounted for hull costs.

- Allows for stacking of industry in the orbit of the system, however comes with a dust cost of maintaining the fleet.

- Most want this for mid to late game. Core industry worlds can be used to help build improvements on other systems, like a system that is science heavy and lacking in industry. Or quickly restore a desolated system, after when someone bombs the system to nothing.

It make industry a bit of galactic resource instead of just local system one. I can make 200k ind of ships and guard a system, but I will be damned if I put some raw materials and industry machinery on those ships that it could use to complete an improvement.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 12, 2013, 9:34:33 PM
ooor, you use your industry star systems to convert ind->dust and use the buyout feature

same effect, same end
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 12, 2013, 10:21:16 PM
True, if you have a lot of dust around. At least for me industry is much easier to come by then dust. Some big projects are not practical to buyout either. Then again I have wondered if you could just run an empire on dust and little to no industry. Just buyout everything as the sheredyn.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 12, 2013, 11:11:40 PM
You can also get situations wherein you can have an infinitely long list of ships (at least 50+), all stating they will be finished in 1 turn. However, when you hit end turn, you'll only get a couple of them.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 13, 2013, 10:21:21 AM
I was thinking about this the other day. One of the features I really miss from the old Civilization games is the ability to build 'trade caravans' that you can use to accelerate building of things in other systems. Yes, you can do some of this with industry->dust conversion and buying it out, but that's pretty inefficient given the inflated buyout cost and the 33% industry to dust conversion rate. It would be nice (and logical) to be able to accelerate the building of improvements on other system in this manner and would also create some quite interesting 'supply chains' that opponents could attempt to disrupt.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 13, 2013, 2:12:31 PM
I also think this feature is unnecessary due to both admin heroes (for quick development of systems early) and buyouts (for late game).
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 13, 2013, 2:47:06 PM
There is more then one way to skin a cat. Why should that not apply to improving a system as well? By your logic have to invasion troops, aircraft, and siege weapons is unnecessary they all do the same in the end. Also admin heroes have small static bonuses most of their bonuses are percentage and do not help new systems a whole lot.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 13, 2013, 2:56:02 PM
I find the costs of this suggestion (dev time, cluttering up the map with ships, micromanagement, balance problems from introducing new mechanic) to outweigh the possible benefits (increased depth in empire development where it is easier to transfer production between systems that are close to each other).
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 13, 2013, 10:55:15 PM
Should just make it an automatic thing you set up once, in like the trade route screen or something. Too much micro as is. And since it isn't more efficient than buyout it really only benefits Harmony. I don't think there's anything wrong with it but given how little it adds in its current form its unlikely to be a high priority item if it makes the dev's list.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 14, 2013, 8:22:36 AM
It would be somewhat micro heavy, but hardly a game-breaker, especially considering it's entirely optional. The relative efficiency compared to buyout is arguable too: there's no reason to use the numbers described above. Also, buyout for some races isn't an an effective option: Sowers, for example, will have relatively little dust income since most of their planets should be industry-based and with 33% ind->dust conversion and the buyout cost not being a 1:1 ratio with the industry cost of the improvement or ship, that's a lot of additional inefficiency, especially if you have racial bonuses to ship building.

It's not necessary by any means but I think it would be quite a nice addition.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 14, 2013, 1:41:35 PM
Inter-empire trade maybe? Be able trade with your own systems for a one way transfer food and industry. Far less micro intensive that way and would avoid clutter of ships. Trade does not have to be 100% efficient either, 80% received for what was sent? Both food and industry cannot be stockpiled like dust.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 14, 2013, 10:09:43 PM
Yea, I was thinking along those lines too. Especially, since trade routes frequently go un-use in higher diff games where factions at frequently at war. Also, now that Extreme Exchange decrease system upkeep its pretty much always built but the +1 trade route it provides frequently goes un-used.

Now that doesn't mean we have to use that empty trade route, but internal trading of some form would be nice. In fact, when I first played I thought trade routes were for internal trading. Scrapped those plus trade route building real fast when I figure out it wasn't.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 15, 2013, 1:11:42 AM
I think the simplest method of internal trade would be to have any system within the empire's influence to be eligible for trade routes. Systems with the least development in terms of industry and their population cap would be favored for trade routes between them and more developed ones. Any system outside of the empire's reach would not receive trade, making it is so that the choice of colonizing outside the empire is much more risky and costly.
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment