Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Rewards for strategy?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 2:28:13 AM
I've been thinking, what if you got rewarded for strategy opposed to force?

Say, you have 2 mid sized ships and 3 small ships. You could use all your ships for a frontal assault, or bring the small ships behind and attack while bringing the larger ships in front. Doing so could reward you something.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 2:32:06 AM
Well one would think victory is a reward in itself, that and sustaining fewer losses leads to improved chances of further victories.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 2:38:51 AM
True, True. That would certainly be something. But i was actually thinking of something you could get after the fact (I.e. Loot, xp, ext)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 3:28:47 AM
I agree with Annex on this one, the reward of using a good strategy is not getting defeated in battle, if every battle is just for a reward (Loot, xp, ect..) I feel that battles will be more forced upon the player rather than battles being used to strategically take areas/resources.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 8:34:08 PM
Annex is right, victory is a reward in itself. If enemy ship has weak rear armor then frontal attack is useless. But it will be nice if you can salvage ship and/or take over some battleship with light corvette with special unit onboard.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 11:14:08 PM
That's more along the lines of what i was thinking. Attack from the front and kill them, but attack from the front and rear and you have more of a chance of, say, cripple the ship so it can be boarded.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 14, 2012, 5:43:02 AM
What if a ship's XP was also related to how badly it got beat up?

replacing all those dead crew members with rookies has to have a 'negative' impact on that ship's performance. Whereas majority of the crew being intact would see a marked increase in combat effectiveness (response times, damage control, Aiming calculations, Hyper jump accuracy, blah blah).

heroes would obviously gain XP for the same reasons.

Now if you had a race that had a hive mind or say could download their experience into their central database before dying... maybe a slower exp increase rate but no danger of total loss of a 'crews' exp?

This would give a whole different rationale to creating Boarding Assault treams.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 14, 2012, 5:49:09 AM
Kinda like the Borg?

I like that. It reminds me of starfarer, where if i lose a ship, or a ship is damaged, i lose crew. And i have to replace them with "Green" crew members.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 14, 2012, 12:30:37 PM
You could always reward people for making weird strategies with achievements. Nothing that affects in-game, but everybody loves those!
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment