Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Auto Update ship fits

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 9:43:56 PM
EDIT: OK guys this is not about retrofitting your ships that are already in space. This is about updating the designs of your ships you can build.

So the one thing that has always annoyed me about Masters Of Orion 3, and continues to haunt me in Endless Space is that as you research more and more technology your ships stay the same until you go in and update each one by hand. So I would like some feature that I could turn on that would keep my ships up to date.

In each ship fitting screen next to the "Auto Update" button we could have a checkbox that says something like "Keep ship design up to date". If this box is unchecked then the ship stays as it is and the player has to update the ship as normal. But if "Keep ship design up to date" is checked then at the beginning of any turn where you research a new technology, the game goes through all of your ship designs that have "Keep ship design up to date" checked, automatically updates their designs, saves the new fit for you to build, and deletes the old design.

Also it'd be nice if whenever you research a new hull size, the game could automatically create a design in that hull size for you. So whenever you unlock "Cruisers" the game could make a new cruiser design and add it to your list of ships you can build.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 10:10:40 PM
i had a similar idea except, something along the lines of a mid - late game system improvement with a pretty high cost somewhere in the 5-7000 labor range, and a limit of 2 per empire, allowing any fleet orbiting the system to upgrade either through dust or labor, set by the player, it would allow a "shipyard" style system, to quickly retrofit ships without costing dust directly but by removing the ability to passively produce dust from industry in said system

not perfect but.. if you have 100 fleet suddenly retrofitted automatically in one turn you could end up completely broke ( unless there is some limit)
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 10:15:15 PM
That'd be great. Didn't even know there was a way to upgrade current ships until reading some other threads. Having it auto-upgrade would be a nice additon.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 10:21:29 PM
td1342 wrote:
not perfect but.. if you have 100 fleet suddenly retrofitted automatically in one turn you could end up completely broke ( unless there is some limit)

It's not really the retrofitting I am concerned about, but adding ships to the build que that are out of date.

I have seen people play this game (and Masters Of Orion 3) where they get murdered mid game because even though they are doing research they are still building the "Scout" and "Defender" ships that they got on Turn 1, because they didn't know they should be manually upgrading them every time they research something.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 10:38:43 PM
understood

and yes, same problem i had in my first play-through i had made ship about 30 turns in and never upgraded then suddenly when invaded i lost 15 fleets i fully support either option, it would make the game less hassle and more interesting to play
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 11:25:42 PM
I would like to see an option on each ship for auto-update or not when it is first designed. That way the computer doesn't try to update my colony ship (and make it unnecessarily expensive).
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 12:35:36 AM
My current problem with the update function is that the newer modules aren't necessarily better, and, in fact, are sometimes worse.

For example:

The second armor module, in addition to adding the standard +k hp, also adds +2% HP, while none of the later ones do.

The second repair module repairs 15% hp on the ship per phase, which is greater than the +100 hp from the third tier module if your ship has at least 666 hp.

The lowest tier power module adds +40% to weapon damage for a -20% hp penalty, while the top tier adds only +6% weapon damage for the same -20% hp penalty (and weighs more).
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 1:07:02 AM
IIRC Civ II 'Leonardo's Workshop Wonder: would upgrade your troops when a new tech came on line

Civilization II

The main article has not been created for (or "Leonardo's Workshop" is not part of) Civilization II

Requires Invention, Cost 400, Automobile obsoletes.

Whenever a unit becomes obsolete because of new technology you have discovered, it is immediately replaced by an equivalent (though not veteran) modern unit. When you acquire a city by bribery, any remaining units that are obsolete for you get upgraded immediately.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 7:22:13 AM
Zach wrote:
So the one thing that has always annoyed me about Masters Of Orion 3, and continues to haunt me in Endless Space is that as you research more and more technology your ships stay the same until you go in and update each one by hand. So I would like some feature that I could turn on that would keep my ships up to date.

In each ship fitting screen next to the "Auto Update" button we could have a checkbox that says something like "Keep ship design up to date". If this box is unchecked then the ship stays as it is and the player has to update the ship as normal. But if "Keep ship design up to date" is checked then at the beginning of any turn where you research a new technology, the game goes through all of your ship designs that have "Keep ship design up to date" checked, automatically updates their designs, saves the new fit for you to build, and deletes the old design.

Also it'd be nice if whenever you research a new hull size, the game could automatically create a design in that hull size for you. So whenever you unlock "Cruisers" the game could make a new cruiser design and add it to your list of ships you can build.

Retrofitting costs something. So automatically retrofitting would be a nightmare.

Moreover you can use that to good use : design something versus missiles. On another front you need defense versus beams. Just modify the design but only retrofit the ships that will fight on that second front.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 8:19:33 AM
VieuxChat wrote:
Retrofitting costs something. So automatically retrofitting would be a nightmare.

Moreover you can use that to good use : design something versus missiles. On another front you need defense versus beams. Just modify the design but only retrofit the ships that will fight on that second front.

I agree, you'd kill your dust without even knowing why and how.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 4:50:48 PM
OK guys, I wasn't talking about retrofitting your ships that are already in space, this is about updating the designs of the ships that you can build.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 4:56:19 PM
PyroVortex wrote:
My current problem with the update function is that the newer modules aren't necessarily better, and, in fact, are sometimes worse.

For example:

The second armor module, in addition to adding the standard +k hp, also adds +2% HP, while none of the later ones do.

The second repair module repairs 15% hp on the ship per phase, which is greater than the +100 hp from the third tier module if your ship has at least 666 hp.

The lowest tier power module adds +40% to weapon damage for a -20% hp penalty, while the top tier adds only +6% weapon damage for the same -20% hp penalty (and weighs more).

You're right - at the moment there are some issues both with the UI for selecting modules (I didn't notice that the Support tab scrolled down until about turn 200...) and the fact that many "upgraded" modules just aren't.

I think it should always be the case that an upgrade needs to be equivalent or better across all metrics. Those support modules with different types of stats across "upgrades" really need to be given their own series.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 5:19:21 PM
I'm in agreement with the TC on this front. I have no problem with the manual retrofitting (I always hate games where I have to scrap my fleet every few turns because of obsolescence), but I agree that the Design or blueprint of ships should include the option of replacing old tech with new tech. I would like my missile boat design to include the most updated technology and engines whenever possible, maybe even a notification on the sidebar of what ships have been changed and it can take you to the ship design screen so that you can see what changes were made and possibly make some slight adjustments if there was a reduction in tonnage that would allow you to squeeze an extra module on if you wanted.

Of course I feel that this should be a toggle so that users can choose on a ship by ship basis which designs to keep up to date and which to ignore (like colony ships).
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment