Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Streamlined Engine System

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 7:03:40 AM
The movement system at its base is very simple and straightforward, until you start adding on engines. Engines are limited to 1 per ship, which means you can have larger ships that get the same ship movement bonus at a much smaller cost or fleets of smaller ships that can move much faster. However, because engines increase vastly in tonnage with each level, small ships can't feasibly carry the most advanced engines and so may become near obsolete. I hope to simplify it so that the ship sizes can be treated equally with regard to engines.

This can be accomplished by removing the 1 engine per ship limit and by making the bonus engines provide inversely proportional to the size of the ship. By increasing the distance between systems by a factor of 10 engines gain the needed flexibility. The engines would then shrink in terms of tonnage and cost by a factor of 10 so that you can get the speed you want on your ships and so that small ships can fit the advanced engines. The engines would provide the same output, except that it would be worth a 10th as much and it would double for medium ships and quadruple for small ships. That is really the simplest way I found to make it so that large and small ships deal with engines in the same way. You add an engine to your small ship and its movement increases. If you want to match that movement increase on a dreadnought, then you simply add 4 engines, etc.

In short, the Engine system as it is at present is needlessly complex and clumsy to the extent that I do not want to deal with them. I hope you at Amplitude consider my proposal and I would be honored to have you respond in one way or another.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 2:15:33 PM
Smaller ships do have obsoletion issues because of their smaller base tonnage but they benefit from larger base movement speeds anyway.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment