Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Cravers gata Crave!

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 4:30:13 AM
The Craver Affinity bonus that they use to encourage constant expansion is functional, but it does not feel Cravery (it is also hardly noticeable, which is a problem). Therefore I am taking the time to propose a somewhat more complex system, but one that lives up to the Craver aesthetic while maintaining the function of the old system.

It works thus:

(1) The Cravers have double population limits on their planets.

(2) Each Planet has 75 Locust Points (perhaps more for balancing, I don’t want to give them 100 because they can put a larger population on the planet).

(3) When colonized by a Craver the planet loses 1 LP per turn.

(4) When it has more than 50 LPs, it gains a +25% FIDS bonus.

(5) When it has less than 25 LP, it suffers a -25% FIDS penalty.

(6) When it has 0 LPs the planet is decolonized the population moves to other planets in the system.

(7) Any population that won’t fit is put on free colony ships that can settle on other colonies (see my food post, link below).

(8) Decolonized worlds regenerate 1 LP per turn, up to a maximum of 50 LPs (this simulates the virgin world bonus that they currently receive).

(9) The planet can be recolonized whenever it has a positive LP, but it is best to wait until it is full to minimize the penalty.

(10) You receive alerts when the a planet has 45 LPs and then another when it has 50 LP so that you can recolonize it and not lose any time.

(11) And finally, if you own a system where all of the planets have been decolonized, you still own the system and improvements but you won’t gain any productivity from population

Also see my post on how to revamp the food system at https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space/forum/28-game-design/thread/11618-food-to-colony-ships-conversion as it works with this, but is not fully necessary for it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 4:58:30 AM
What a headache that wouldn't be functional in any game I've played as the cravers. I could not possibly bonus from decolonizing in mass as them and if automated would be entirely too frustrating to lose your major systems every 50 turns.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 5:24:13 AM
While certainly unique and certainly promoting a very mobile playstyle, this would actually be a fairly significant debuff for the Cravers. At least if my math is decent...

For ease of demonstration, assume two planets that each produce 1 Industry per turn and this never changes. This can be done with other resources; industry is an easy one to visualize though. Assume also there are no bonuses or what not from tech, heroes, or what have you. Assume a Craver and a non-Craver colonize one each. Here is the cumulative output (how much production the planet has made in its lifetime).

Turn / Non-Craver / Craver (LP)

0 / 0 / 0 (75)

25 / 25 / 31.25 (50)

50 / 50 / 56.25 (25)

75 / 75 / 75 (0) - Depopulated

100 / 100 / 75 (25) - Depopulated

125 / 125 / 75 (50) - Ready to colonize again

150 / 150 / 100 (25)

175 / 175 / 118.75 (0) - Depopulated

200 / 200 / 118.75 (25) - Depopulated

So by the end of 200 turns, the planet has produced a little more than half for the Cravers versus a non-Craver. With equal bonuses - especially percentile ones - this difference will increase. This also doesn't factor in some of the shadow costs of re-colonizing - you have to wait at least 1 turn to get an LP so even if you re-colonize at 1 LP, you're losing 1 turn out of 2.

Also, this doesn't factor in that population growth would be affected - so even with equal planets, a non-Craver planet will further outstrip it if for no other reason than it's growing two turns for every one. And of course this affects income and research as well.

That said, the system might be interesting with adjustments however the previous poster brings up the point that in the late game, there may be a lot of micro-managing of dozens of fleets and planets.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 5:45:59 AM
Its just an idea that I wanted to put out, but I do want to do something to make Cravers feel more unique...

You win some, you lose some I suppose :rolleyes:
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 6:14:28 AM
Like I said, it's a unique idea. Just because it doesn't work out in the initial state doesn't mean it - or something like it - can't work with some tweaking.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 2:27:32 PM
Reduce production? Sure - abandon planets entirely? Too much micromanaging for just "one race". In my opinion at least.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment