Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Weapon range 'focus'

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 10:29:21 PM
So gents, we've all been playing a while now and i've come up with a suggestion that needs some C&C

i really think the game would benefit from this and might help drag people deeper into a loving relationship with their race of choice.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 10:34:57 PM
The different Weapon types already have range specialties although not within the same weapon group so much.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 11:39:23 PM
So... never heard of adjustable focal length lenses? Same concept is equally valid for lasers (not that this game has lasers).

That said, I tend to find that kinetics and particle weapons are plenty effective at long range (I've stopped using missiles, and tend to destroy my opponents before they can fire, if they have them).
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 6:52:44 AM
interesting. whenever i've focused on kinetics in the past i seem to miss everything before close range. by the time i get there i've been eaten by missiles and lasers that never seem to miss.

even with the appropriate defence technology and modules ive not yet once managed to make a fleet of kinetics that can stand up to any of the other races.

its not that i'm behind. i'm normally sitting 2nd on FIDS and 3rd on technology.

all i'm suggesting is something that makes doing something other then missile spam effective.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 6:56:54 AM
We should be able to get more insight about weapon balancing in multiplayer once the Devs release the beta. Until then, well, my experiences are also somewhat distorted because I tend to be vastly ahead in technology relative to my opponents.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 7:05:37 AM
Mantaray wrote:
interesting. whenever i've focused on kinetics in the past i seem to miss everything before close range. by the time i get there i've been eaten by missiles and lasers that never seem to miss.

even with the appropriate defence technology and modules ive not yet once managed to make a fleet of kinetics that can stand up to any of the other races.

Do you have a large mass of these mods? In my experience missiles are the least cost effective weapon. Besides only being able to target one ship they risk not getting any volleys off in a phase. The reason you probably have had difficulties with kinetics is because the AI, in my experience, heavily builds deflect resistances regardless of your weapon build.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 7:19:28 AM
well. i came across it by accident. i was desperately trying to deal with an invasion and my main fleets were too far away. so i made a destroyer with just missiles and a +damage mod. built a quick fleet and demolished a bunch of cruisers before the start of mid-phase.

whacked out the tactics card and prayed that they survived to long range 50% to fire. which they all did, just. then the medium range phase starts for about 1 second before you win giving time to pump out a nano-bot.

done 4 games with that set-up and even when the AI adapted with flak. MORE then enough missiles made it trough to destroy. except one time against a few battleships. actualy had to fire in medium phase. but that wasnt a problem. the nanobots carried me through it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 7:33:36 AM
My fleets have evolved into dreadnaughts with a pile of Gluon Disruptors (the top tier beam), and 1-3 of each defense. Following some numerical analyses I've been conducting, though, I'm tempted to switch to a fleet of destroyers that are armed to the teeth with beams.

The AI seems to be fond of the beam tree, which also provides them with high end kinetic defense. So the AI having lots of kinetic defense sounds fairly predictable.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 2:51:05 PM
I'm interested in your numerical analyses. In particular, I would love to be able to quantify the effect of card choices. I don't like being forced to use tactical mode to get decent results. I am not sure if that is happening in this system. For example, it is an awful problem in the King Arthur TBS games, but not a problem in Total War Shogun. So far, the card system seems pretty straightforward. But my one experiment showed that just *entering* tactical mode gives a 15% improvement in the result.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment