Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Buildings/ships can still be built at greater cost without special ress

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 2:53:48 PM
Sometimes, being locked down by lack of a special resource, like Titanium-70, Hexaferrum or Anti-Matter, can be detrimental to my fun.

I suggest that buildings and ship parts that REQUIRE these resources, become less effective or cost more to produce without the required material, but can STILL be made.

Examples:

Optics Research Labs - Requires Anti-Matter. Production Cost: 500, Upkeep 4. Without Anti-Matter, it could cost 3x as much to produce (1500) and 3x the upkeep (12).

Laser - Requires Hyperium. Cost 12, Weight 9. Without Hyperium, it could cost 3x as much (36) and weigh 50% more (13.5).

This is based entirely out of the notion that lacking the resource makes the game less fun and slightly more annoying, and that in the real world, we always seem to get around limitations with enough extra cost to the production.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 2:59:24 PM
"In the real world", when you lack some resource, you buy it, or you capture a territory to get it. I think that's the point of diplomacy and trading.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 3:03:12 PM
While I can understand the sentiment, the whole idea of resources is that they enable denial of said resources. The point being that you can center a whole war theater around simply denying or regaining supply of a resource needed to holding an edge.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 3:05:44 PM
I know that is the idea, but when your quadrant has 0 of the resource in question, and in order to get out of the quadrant on the offense, you need it, then its a pretty difficult situation, and increased costs lets you transfer production into covering the lack.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 4:11:17 PM
I originally thought the same about T-70, but I have changed my mind. You only need it for tier 1 missiles, and cruisers. By the time you need cruisers you have probably found the resource somewhere. If not, then you may need to go to an all-destroyer strategy. It makes you try different things. For the other resources, I think they come up even later so they should be less critical.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 5:09:48 PM
TNSe wrote:
I know that is the idea, but when your quadrant has 0 of the resource in question, and in order to get out of the quadrant on the offense, you need it, then its a pretty difficult situation, and increased costs lets you transfer production into covering the lack.

If you were able to do that you would circumvent the whole idea of that situation: it is a challenge, you're in a tough spot and you need to prioritize grabbing a planet with the required resource, even if it is inconvenient to do so. Or you would be required to alter your strategy to not need the resource in the first place.

If you weren't forced into such situations you could simple follow the same recipe for victory again and again and... It is a mechanic that facilitates careful decisions, uphill battles, and creative thinking.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 5:39:38 PM
i want to see more resource requirements, all missiles after the first should require titanium. lasers should require a different resource (later in their progression) and kinetics should require a different resource (very hight level).

battle ships should require some other resource, dreadnoughts should require a number of strategic resources. as it is strategic resources are a nuisance and not very strategic
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 5:52:55 PM
zdesert wrote:
battle ships should require some other resource, dreadnoughts should require a number of strategic resources. as it is strategic resources are a nuisance and not very strategic

I was assuming this was work in progress to implement this, to require special resources for everything advanced. Which is why I want some loosening of these restraints.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 5:24:25 PM
I could stand to see more resources! The more the merrier! This will add more depth to the diplomacy side of things!
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment