Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Aesthetics: craver’s ships

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 9:18:05 AM
The things flying are the locusts I think. And for the danger of the space and vacuum... They don't like they would care so much. I'm even not sure they breath air. When You see how they look, I guess they can survive in space and their ships are needed to move from system to system bringing them and their locusts to eat worlds... YEAH !
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 7:17:55 AM
In the images we see them in, i can actually see that.

And thats awesome!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 7:15:30 AM
then you have the swarm of little things around their ships so I'm thinking either they can survive in vacuum or they are in little swarmer ships and just use the larger hull to get around and mount weapons on.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 6:11:53 AM
stevenmc409 wrote:
I thought they were partiality organic from the living weapon part of the lore and the fact that they are said to evolve quickly.

I was thinking that too, like the robots from the movie VIRUS if you've seen it (it's old and niche). But the lore also mentions genes and evolution, meaning it must be a little more than that.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 5:25:16 AM
I thought they were partiality organic from the living weapon part of the lore and the fact that they are said to evolve quickly.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 4:47:59 AM
Fenrakk101 wrote:
Just checked; I consent to your superior argument. I missed the one word in the first sentence that brought it all together.

I was reading from: http://www.amplitude-studios.com/Articles/THE-CRAVERS

The Cravers were a creation of the Virtuals, an offshoot society of the ancient race known as the Endless. They were intended as a living weapon in the fratricidal wars with another branch of the Endless, known as the Concretes. Realizing the risk that the Cravers presented, the Virtuals decided to maroon them in a distant arm of the galaxy and wipe them out of existence. Distracted by other emergencies the Virtuals left the effort incomplete; the Cravers were broken and bombed back to the Stone Age but the species survived.

"Living Weapon" - I misinterpreted that. So yes, I am an idiot. My apologies.

No need to apologise, we are all firends here! smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 4:44:25 AM
Igncom1 wrote:
http://endlessspace.wikia.com/wiki/Factions#Cravers

Wut?

Just checked; I consent to your superior argument. I missed the one word in the first sentence that brought it all together.

I was reading from: http://www.amplitude-studios.com/Articles/THE-CRAVERS

The Cravers were a creation of the Virtuals, an offshoot society of the ancient race known as the Endless. They were intended as a living weapon in the fratricidal wars with another branch of the Endless, known as the Concretes. Realizing the risk that the Cravers presented, the Virtuals decided to maroon them in a distant arm of the galaxy and wipe them out of existence. Distracted by other emergencies the Virtuals left the effort incomplete; the Cravers were broken and bombed back to the Stone Age but the species survived.

"Living Weapon" - I misinterpreted that. So yes, I am an idiot. My apologies.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 4:39:00 AM
As far as the OP's comments go...I can understand your concerns, but I feel like the designs are perfectly reasonable.

Addressing your comment about how they look completely impossible, consider first several issues.

1. Being that the scaling of these gaps and the stringy bits of tubing in-between seems unrealistic, we have to include the concept of scaling as well. What looks like unused space isn't necessarily terrible at all, if what looks like plating or wiring is really just a corridor large enough to serve a practical purpose. Plus, the engine isn't necessarily that big. What can be mistaken for an engine could just as easily be a fuselage.

If we imagine those sheets of metal 'stuck' between the upper and lower halves of the ships as possibly big enough to allow access for, say, elevators or fuel, it seems less unrealistic.

2. A better example would be this Wraith ship from Stargate: Atlantis.

If my memory serves, these ships are part organic. Te massive gaps all over the ship seem much more unlikely to me. Still, a partially organic or 'salvaged' type of ship would (unless dictated otherwise by lore I'm not aware of) serve more than admirably for the insectoid Cravers.

3. And I consult the mother of all sci-fi.

Now THAT is impractical.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 23, 2012, 11:52:31 PM
while playing my first few games with the cravers i began to have a serious problem with the craver’s ship designs. they don’t seem like they could actually work. they are nothing more than a few sheets of metal welded to a ship engine with a huge gap in the center.

what i am suggesting is adding “stuff” in the center, as in cylinders, boxes, loose wires, things that will make me believe that cavers live and fight on that ship, instead of a few sheets of metal floating through space.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 4:13:10 AM
Igncom1 wrote:
What? They are indeed insects, even some refrences to queens.

They are robots created by the Endless. Check your lore.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 4:00:04 AM
I favor Cravers too and wouldn't want to see any changes.......I favor Cravers......that most definitely make an AWESOME t-shirt!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 3:53:25 AM
Fenrakk101 wrote:
Cravers are robots.

What? They are indeed insects, even some refrences to queens.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 3:50:16 AM
Sorry if I'm a little defensive. I love the Cravers so much that to imagine them changing like that physically pains me.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 2:39:14 AM
Fenrakk101 wrote:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I love the Craver's ships for their scrap-metal look. Really, to me, the Craver ships are my favorite ships in terms of aesthetic.

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they should change. I hate the United Empire's ships but I'm not telling anyone they messed up on the design. It's personal preference. Accept it.

His got a right to not like em and express it, thats the whle point of this player/dev design mumbo jumbo game. Just because he aint a 'yes man' pfft accept it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 12:27:53 AM
Cravers are robots. They're not trying to get from planet to planet safely, they're just trying to get there.

I don't know what those things are that fly around the ships, but I imagine them to be Cravers flying around the ship. As in, the ship is basically a gravity well that they use to carry them.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 12:25:40 AM
Make the added containers and wires look scraped together from random wreckage, still has that scrap look but looks less empty.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 12:01:34 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I love the Craver's ships for their scrap-metal look. Really, to me, the Craver ships are my favorite ships in terms of aesthetic.

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they should change. I hate the United Empire's ships but I'm not telling anyone they messed up on the design. It's personal preference. Accept it.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment