Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Embassies (addressing diplomacy, trade, and civ differentiation)

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 11:27:28 PM
Hello everyone, this is my first suggestion post! I'll be brief to start with. smiley: biggrin

I have a lot of thoughts regarding Dust usage, Trade, Diplomacy, and Faction differentiation.

However, rather than list all of them out at the moment, I'll instead suggest one particular idea that I think represents a focal point for affecting all of them: Embassies.

Summary:

Embassies main purpose in the game would be to change the way Influence border interactions affect Attitude (Diplomacy), in turn addressing some of the issues that affect Trade, and also with variations between different Factions having a significant effect on how they play. The method of implementation intended is that they would be improvements built in specific Star Systems, affecting each system's Influence border interactions, EDIT:even perhaps potentially adding Influence effects, with perhaps a specific set of "capital system" constructions to achieve more universal effects and/or interact with Trade to enhance the capital system.

Theoretical Examples:

• Most Embassies would either change the way different Faction's Influence borders affect Attitude, or offset the negative Attitude (i.e., "dislike") effect via some other mechanism.

In some cases, for example the Cravers, there might be an exception to this, or a significant variation ("off the cuff" example: a type of Embassy for Cravers might turn negative Attitude into, effectively, "fear", and therefore work toward maintaining "Cold War" instead of prompting hostilities).

• Via some combination of focusing on different tweaked types of Embassies (unlocked in stages or enhanced throughout the Research tree) and having a relatively universal set and then unlocking some Faction specific set of them throughout the Research tree, some different concepts and mechanisms feeding into gameplay can be represented.

Some initial food for thought on some types of Embassy functions, whether different buildings or different things offered by buildings to different Factions:

• "Foreign Affairs" - focused on affecting Diplomacy.

• "Trade Embassy" - focused on facilitating Trade, thought I'm not yet sure how it is supposed to work...is it intdended that you need a line of systems with "Trade slots" from the Border to more distant systems, for example?

Obvious fit for emphasis and flexibility for United Empire, and perhaps also a "Science Symposium" variation for Sophons with a corresponding tweak in focus.

• "Border Post" - perhaps focused on regulating ship travel, and/or perhaps setting policies so that you can deliberatly make border interactions hostile with a particular Faction while trading with another...?

Something even Cravers could have.

• Is there going to be any sort of spying/espionage system in the game? If so, this could interact with that as well.

This is the seed of the general idea, though I have further thoughts on variations and implications.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 11:32:18 PM
Another idea for the embassy would be to make the borders of two empires generate less/no dislike.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 12:42:52 AM
demalion wrote:
Most Embassies would either change the way different Civilizations borders affect Diplomacy, or offset the negative diplomacy (i.e., "dislike") effect via some other mechanism.

I was thinking more about diplomatic relations right after First Contact. At this moment, there is little you can do to improve relations with a race you are in a Cold War. Building embassies would be one way.

In some case, for example the Cravers, there might be an exception to this, or a significant variation.

Yeah, the Cravers would need something else. Like a meat smell-o-scope.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 1:11:59 AM
werewolf_nr wrote:
Another idea for the embassy would be to make the borders of two empires generate less/no dislike.

Clarified some of the terminology used after refreshing my memory on some of the terms the game uses. In my original post, this was meant to be included under "change the way border interactions affect Diplomacy" and "offset the negative diplomacy effect via some other mechanism".
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment