Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Tutorial Game - Small step by step game to help learn how to play

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 28, 2012, 10:26:47 PM
First and foremost I LOVE games like these, for years and years ive been waiting for a game that looks close to ascendancy, while still being its own unique game.

The one thing with these types of games is the learning curve, The issue I have is though all the info is there the first time you click a window, thats the only time is there, and even then, it just tells you what each window does...

You run into two issues

[LIST=1]
  • People like me like to look around, and see what all the windows do, the issue is, if I look at them all at the start, I only get this information once, and no clear way to see them again. I looked through to fast, and couldnt find a 'help' menu to figure out how to do something as simple as moving a ship
  • Help with where to start: This is important, having a quick like 50 "step" tutorial level would help people understand good places to start and where to go from. For example, setting up your first planet, what to look for in research, How to build a new ship that can colonize a new planet... ect. Just have a step by step example level would be a great way to help with the learning curve.

• [/LIST]
    0Send private message
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 29, 2012, 5:47:03 AM
    Hey Davea, the tutorial in your signature is exactly what im talking about, Seeing something like that, but done ingame would be an amazing feature to help people jump right in, without having to leave the game!
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 29, 2012, 11:41:42 AM
    molster wrote:
    for years and years ive been waiting for a game that looks close to ascendancy, while still being its own unique game.

So has I !! (By the way the Logic Factory published last year a iOS version of Ascendancy)

About in game interactive tutorial, I agree with you, it would be a nice feature. But you should know that the actual system of UI screen info is a lot more than what exists on other game. By exemple I tried once Sword of the Stars II:

The game open on a ultra-dense UI with a lot of unnecessarily precise numbers ("your planet have 1,003,432 inhabitants) and NO explanation. !! I played about 8 minutes (the game is also ugly on my computer and lags like hell) and drop it.

That didn't happen with Endless Space (and I have the minimum requirement)
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 30, 2012, 4:51:37 AM
    (By the way the Logic Factory published last year a iOS version of Ascendancy) YAY Ascendancy Lives !!!!!

Ascendancy is one of my all-time favorite games : )

Yes I would LOVE to see davea 's tutorial as an in-game tutorial. It's very well done, and would be perfect for this.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 30, 2012, 5:01:25 AM
    FYI, the link in my sig points to a tutorial by *ArrowLance*. He wrote it, I just posted a link.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 30, 2012, 7:27:11 AM
    I think the devs will include an official tutorial when the game is fully released, because that's when all post alpha- & beta-changes are implemented and all is (hopefully) properly balanced. They could implement a tutorial at this stage, but it will be subject to changes later on and will take more effort in total. This effort is better spent on other projects.

Until then, the community provides.

That almost sounded religious.....
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 30, 2012, 2:21:59 PM
    davea wrote:
    FYI, the link in my sig points to a tutorial by *ArrowLance*. He wrote it, I just posted a link.

Yes my mistake, I used your link to find it.

ArrowLance deserves the credit for it. smiley: smile

It's a great tutorial...
    0Send private message
    ?

Click here to login

Comment