I Agree - A needed feature
I Disagree - Tell me why
Not Sure - Discuss better alternatives?
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 6:01:07 PM
AtoningUnifex wrote:
Yeah in GalCiv2 you had random planetary events where you had to choose a good, neutral or evil option of how to deal with them. The different choices provided different planetary bonuses and also affected your races alignment, which tied into diplomacy with other races.

Ooo, I forgot about that. Definitely another way you could go. I gotta say, that is one thing I really liked about the Gal Civ series. Sometimes the events felt generic, but the choices you were forced to make were always interesting.

Civ 4 eventually added something similar. The events in the Fall from Heaven 2 mod were really cool. Often times there were options greyed out unless you had the right faction/religion/alignment. They could so something like that with ES.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 7:01:22 PM
Prophet wrote:
Ooo, I forgot about that. Definitely another way you could go. I gotta say, that is one thing I really liked about the Gal Civ series. Sometimes the events felt generic, but the choices you were forced to make were always interesting.

Civ 4 eventually added something similar. The events in the Fall from Heaven 2 mod were really cool. Often times there were options greyed out unless you had the right faction/religion/alignment. They could so something like that with ES.

I'd support that kind of change fully, though it may be furthered by pre-emptive technology that can even help you align yourself ahead of time as well? like 3 tech branches that can be furthered with your moral choices and have both pre-emptive or fix-it abilities towards all 'random' event problems you may encounter. But I'm just spewing out the idea as I'm thinking of it, maybe I'll refine it and re-post later about it. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 8:55:31 PM
I agree. I can terraform whole worlds but not re-calibrate my sensors? (guess that's what I get for buying store band sensors... in my defense, they were on sale...)

xyquas wrote:
Master of Orion II had a random event, where a disease threatened a specific star system. The disease could be stopped if enough research points where spend in the threatened star system (meaning research had to be done within this star system).

I recommand the same mechanism here: If a negative effect affects a specific star system, the research for workaround or neutralizing this effect has to be done within this system. If it affects the entire empire, maybe research has to be done on different planets / planets of different types (for example one Terran, one Arctic and one Barren) or different star systems (maybe 3 star systems that share no single star lane, meaning that they are not linked directly).

Something like this would be nice. It could show up as a new "improvement" for relevant systems to work on.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 6:11:07 PM
I cautiously approve of more player choice in responding to random events; less game of life, more leader of a country / Galciv-styled interaction.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 6:14:34 PM
Sunshard wrote:
I cautiously approve of more player choice in responding to random events; less game of life, more leader of a country / Galciv-styled interaction.

Agreed, because I wouldn't sit on my thumb while my civilization was experiencing such a widespread problem. I'd want to find a fix or a cure.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 6:15:44 PM
Master of Orion II had a random event, where a disease threatened a specific star system. The disease could be stopped if enough research points where spend in the threatened star system (meaning research had to be done within this star system).

I recommand the same mechanism here: If a negative effect affects a specific star system, the research for workaround or neutralizing this effect has to be done within this system. If it affects the entire empire, maybe research has to be done on different planets / planets of different types (for example one Terran, one Arctic and one Barren) or different star systems (maybe 3 star systems that share no single star lane, meaning that they are not linked directly).

I voted for yes :-)
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 6:17:42 PM
xyquas wrote:

I voted for yes :-)

One thing I also didn't note in this post sadly enough are the positive random events! I'm kinda bashing my head in about that one, but maybe even research await to 'mimic' the said event or keep researching that random event to continue it for some odd amount of turns to extend the time you take its benefits?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 6:24:31 PM
I agree that it would be nice to be able to do something to fix negative random events. I almost always get the one that cuts the speed of my ships in half, and being able to do something to get my speed higher aside from researching all the engine mods would be nice.

I don't see why we would need to do anything to keep positive effects, though...Maybe it would vary on a event-by-event basis, but if you go the one that gives you a colony ship for free, to two random techs that are instantly researched, well...You have the benefit, and the game can take those away. What could you do to possibly extend the time of the benefits?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 6:27:07 PM
FinalStrigon wrote:
I agree that it would be nice to be able to do something to fix negative random events. I almost always get the one that cuts the speed of my ships in half, and being able to do something to get my speed higher aside from researching all the engine mods would be nice.

I don't see why we would need to do anything to keep positive effects, though...Maybe it would vary on a event-by-event basis, but if you go the one that gives you a colony ship for free, to two random techs that are instantly researched, well...You have the benefit, and the game can take those away. What could you do to possibly extend the time of the benefits?

I agree case by case, but I had one that increased my engine efficiency for a limited time, possibly a small research to see what made it happen and replicate the anomaly in some way. I'm not too sure as I've stated in previous posts I still have yet to see "all" of the random events. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 6:29:26 PM
VulpesWalker wrote:
I agree case by case, but I had one that increased my engine efficiency for a limited time, possibly a small research to see what made it happen and replicate the anomaly in some way. I'm not too sure as I've stated in previous posts I still have yet to see "all" of the random events. smiley: smile

I wasn't aware there were events that gave bonuses for a limited time. The engine boost one I receive ever now and then was a permanent boost.

If there are limited-turn bonuses, then yes, I agree. Being able to do something to keep them (like paying an option Dust upkeep, or having so long to research a new tech) would be nice.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 6:32:11 PM
FinalStrigon wrote:
I wasn't aware there were events that gave bonuses for a limited time. The engine boost one I receive ever now and then was a permanent boost.

If there are limited-turn bonuses, then yes, I agree. Being able to do something to keep them (like paying an option Dust upkeep, or having so long to research a new tech) would be nice.

Yeah I'm not sure on the complexities of all of them but yeah either way you cut it this could easily be a fundamental feature that we can't overlook because it's 'too simple' to need to worry about.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 8:36:23 PM
Just a side thought to the main topic however, If this were to be implemented would the Sophon civ need to have certain restrictions or bonuses placed to make this really work in their favor since they are often weaker then other races?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 8:51:58 PM
I agree, though I'm not sure that being able to keep positive events going is a good idea because it would be randomly giving a civ an advantage, possibly (I've never gotten a positive random event so I don't know what you can get) giving a civ a major advantage.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 5:15:14 PM
So, my overall idea is for random events, you know the ones that cut your speed to 50% or cut your scanners down to ungodly levels and last forever, But my thoughts on that are this, if a civilization faces a problem so large and so vast that it affects everything in most cases they would research a fix or a work-a-round to get past it I guess what I'd like to see is something where you literally use research points to "break the curse" so to speak and move on faster then other races that are facing the same problem, and if a race doesn't research a fix they are plagued until they do research 'the fix' to their impediment.

☼ Engineering Problem With Engines = Tune Up

☼ Sensor Issues = Recalibrate

☼ Other Problems = (give me some ideas I haven't seen many of these events yet)

Overall I just want to see something feasible to put in the game and something that could add just a small tier of interest in the feature of random events, It could be game changing in some ways and give a needed boost in long drawn out conflicts where it's too even to tell, and just when it's looking like a stalemate you gain the advantage by researching a fix faster then your opponent giving you the edge, as it should be in combat between to major civilizations.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 9:03:01 PM
Prophet wrote:
I agree. I can terraform whole worlds but not re-calibrate my sensors? (guess that's what I get for buying store band sensors... in my defense, they were on sale...)

Something like this would be nice. It could show up as a new "improvement" for relevant systems to work on.

I'm definitely liking the amount of feedback this is getting and the discussion that follows, because I don't think we can afford to really shoot ourselves in the foot on a feature like this. Because it can take away from the immersion if as you said "we can terraform entire worlds but not recalibrate sensors?" and it cannot be said much better then that.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 28, 2012, 5:01:42 AM
Right! I am okay if they want to set the cost very high. In fact, I'd prefer it (otherwise the events become nothing but fluff). But give me the option.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 28, 2012, 5:03:09 AM
Prophet wrote:
Right! I am okay if they want to set the cost very high. In fact, I'd prefer it (otherwise the events become nothing but fluff). But give me the option.

Despite how comfy fluffy pillows are we can't have a fluffy game. or a game where you do nothing but sit on your thumbs while issues continue to just molest you into the ground.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 28, 2012, 10:47:39 AM
I support this idea of increasing the player's ability to react to the random events within the game. +1 for sure.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 28, 2012, 10:54:42 AM
I think different events should have different solutions. Research a tech, build an improvement, pay with dust, obtain resources, etc. If it's always research, that caters to races and strategies that focus on more research. Also, they would just become something to add to the research queue and that's boring.

What I would really like to see is the "solution" to an event giving you a short term goal that you may or may not want to do. Maybe to calibrate your sensors, you would have to scan more systems (i.e. explore 50% or 75% of the galaxy or something). Maybe you need to colonize a new system. Or declare war on a neighboring race. Something that makes you decide if getting rid of the penalty for the event is worth the effort.
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment