Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Remove flavour text on difficulty settings, add something meaningful.

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 9:55:36 PM
I mentioned this once before but it wasn't in this forum so I figured I'd suggest it properly. The difficulty settings themselves make some kind of sense but the flavour text that appears when you hover over them doesn't. I find it a bit odd that in a space game with multiple races the difficulty settings are based on Earth history alone. Plus what's there right now is difficult to understand if you don't have a working knowledge of military history and even then debatable, possibly even politically charged.

I think a much better use of that space would be to explain exactly what the difference in difficulty represents. Is the AI more aggressive, less likely to accept deals, do they get a boost to FIDS, do players suffer a penalty to FIDS? That would be useful when you're picking a new game, to let players know what the selection will do to their game except arbitrarily make it more difficult in comparison to a historical campaign.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 10:26:02 PM
Really? I think the opposite. Leaving a bit of mystery would "allow" you to not be able to know exactly what is different about the AI, which (I think, anyway) sorta makes the AI seem more intellephant

As for the Earth history, well, we are humans you know
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 11:03:15 PM
While I agree that more information for the different difficulty levels would be nice, I say keep the flavour text. It gave me a good laugh when I read it.

Hollow wrote:
I find it a bit odd that in a space game with multiple races the difficulty settings are based on Earth history alone.

Unsurprisingly, the Culling of Segmar VII isn't exactly as relevant or well-known on Earth as say, the Napoleonic Wars.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 2:15:10 AM
Aureus wrote:
While I agree that more information for the different difficulty levels would be nice, I say keep the flavour text. It gave me a good laugh when I read it.

Unsurprisingly, the Culling of Segmar VII isn't exactly as relevant or well-known on Earth as say, the Napoleonic Wars.

I must have missed the non-earth ones when I moused over them. How embarrassing. >.>
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 3:29:47 AM
I get a good laugh out of the flavour texts. The pirate difficulty setting is a good one. The Ai settings tell me enough I find. But then again I am a major hitory/war buff. smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment