Absolutely!
Maybe with some changes.
Don't mind either way.
I don't like this.
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 9:28:59 AM
After reading the topic about the vote on the skin for the Emperor Edition - I started thinking about how all ships always look the same. Creating and implementing ship models is a fair bit of work, but creating skins is a lot easier and can potentially be partially done by the community as well.

Long story short: It would be great if during game set-up you could choose from a set of skins for each race, rather than the ships always looking the same. This becomes especially interesting once you can customise your race/faction later on. In multiplayer it would be great if 2 people are playing the same base race (with thus the same ship models) they could still look different in battles by having chosen different skins. It also ensures that players feel more attached to their race as everyone has a different taste.

It's an easy and great way to make each race appeal more to players without having to go through incredible lengths in order to make this happen.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 12:48:25 PM
Yes more choice definitely would make you feel like you have more involvement through ownership and therefore another step more to enjoying the game for those that like customisation etc. +1smiley: approval
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 12:58:20 PM
Well, considering that there is going to be a United Empire skin, I don't see why the devs would stop there. We'll probably be getting more later in the form of DLC. Though, when you say skin, you do mean just color changes, right? I doubt they'll be making new chip models for every race.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 1:06:17 PM
FinalStrigon wrote:
Well, considering that there is going to be a United Empire skin, I don't see why the devs would stop there. We'll probably be getting more later in the form of DLC. Though, when you say skin, you do mean just color changes, right? I doubt they'll be making new chip models for every race.

Correct, I am talking about textures, rather than models. Different ship model sets would obviously be utterly awesome, but I'd prefer they finish/polish the game before anything of the kind. And the textures could be obtained by means of a competition, plenty of talent within the community I reckon. And what would be cooler than having 'your' texture feature in the game upon release?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 1:19:08 PM
EvilTactician wrote:
Correct, I am talking about textures, rather than models. Different ship model sets would obviously be utterly awesome, but I'd prefer they finish/polish the game before anything of the kind. And the textures could be obtained by means of a competition, plenty of talent within the community I reckon. And what would be cooler than having 'your' texture feature in the game upon release?

Alright, just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.

And I agree. I'm fairly certain I read somewhere, too, that the devs might allow the community to compete for things like that. Or, they could simply try and get ES included with the Steam Workshop, since they apparently have no real issue with modders. Of course, I'd prefer seeing an Amplitude-run competition, maybe get your name in the credits if you design wins and gets put in the game, instead of simple downloading from the Workshop.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 4:32:40 PM
Steam Workshop would give a massive amount of exposure to the game and probably give players access to a plethora of skins, models, and other mods. It would be a very positive step if that could be achieved.

I agree with you though, at this stage, an Amplitude-ran competition is preferable.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 8, 2012, 2:16:26 PM
On a related note - how will the Emperor edition skin actually work? Can we choose from that/original or is the emperor one automatically selected if you qualify for it?

Does it display for those who don't have it, but fight against those who do?

I ask, because some of the answers could mean/suggest that the feature I am suggesting already exists, and just needs 'feeding' with more textures smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 8, 2012, 2:19:54 PM
absolutely, being able to select a skin for one's faction would make the whole player experience more personal... and fun. Also, it would really great for when the option to create custom races becomes available!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 8, 2012, 2:20:50 PM
I think in the final release there will be an option to use a downloaded skin, or the default. It makes no sense to force Emperor Edition players to use it because, well...If the Crusader skin wins, for example, I'll never use it. I don't like it.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment