Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Modular Battleship Builder

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Oct 18, 2012, 1:56:24 AM
The concept is simple: To give the possibility to build you own custom ships using modular construction, like Sword of The Stars and Battleships Forever, you would have possibility to build the ship piece by piece. I don´t really know how this would be, but i think it would be an good feature.

as usual, i could not find much even closely related to this topic so i will assume no one had this idea. If someone did, say to me, the search engine of this forum is a little inefficient, but, if the thread is too old and was not concluded, i would like to move the topic to here so we can discuss more easily this idea.

Thanks and share your opinions! smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 18, 2012, 2:05:55 AM
I haven't played either of those games (recommendations? Steam links?) but my prediction is that a modular system would be hell for multiplayer. Instead of the game needing to transfer your ships' stats, it needs to transfer information on your modules (what they are, their xyz positions), and then generate the new ships.

People clamoring for their gun modules to have visual impact had a realistic goal, even in terms of this multiplayer downloading, because you wouldn't transfer any more information than you already did; but modules makes the process much slower. Plus, when battle actions in auto is implemented, manual combat in MP may become obsolete/frowned upon, so it wouldn't have more use in there.

Of course you can make the argument that it could be SP-only or that it wouldn't actually have a huge impact on MP, but these are just my speculation. One SP/MP concern that may be more rational is how the game engine would graphically show these modules; like I said, I haven't played the games you mentioned so maybe I'm missing something, but the beautiful graphics we so love may become impossible with a modular system.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 18, 2012, 2:37:47 AM
This is becoming common in space strategy games. But I frown upon anything that is just for good graphics while the game still needs so many other things fixed.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 18, 2012, 3:19:13 AM
Fenrakk101 wrote:
I haven't played either of those games (recommendations? Steam links?) but my prediction is that a modular system would be hell for multiplayer. Instead of the game needing to transfer your ships' stats, it needs to transfer information on your modules (what they are, their xyz positions), and then generate the new ships.

SOTS 1 (Sword of the stars) and its expansions is quite cheap on steam, and is a solid 4X game with some unique mechanics, recommend visiting the Kerberos forums for tips on the game to help ease you in, its got a real friendly community like ES has.

SOTS2 is currently unfinished (You may have seen the total explosion of a release) and has yet to receive the 'all-clear' from the devs, but is currently in a fun an playable state, recommend waiting if you want the full experience.

As towards the idea of modular construction, this would be a massive art job to create each module and may be a little lack luster without a in-game purpose.

Any thoughts on the purpose of your modular battleships? Specializing into weapon types? Assisting the fleet with bonuses to defense and such? A ship unique battle card?

While it may not be possible being fully modular, it may be possible as an attachment or modifier to the existing ship model, like attacking extra nacelles to the engines for extra speed and the like. smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 18, 2012, 7:44:21 AM
Hi,

closer discusion in /#/endless-space/forum/28-game-design/thread/12510-proposing-take-a-look-for-different-space-games-ships-modelling-and-battle-modes

so, can we merge them?

I suggest made "modular construction", but batlemode can bee current. Before start battle (in multiuser mode) computers have exchange data of wich modules placed in ships, their location. After that battle goes in mode which realized now (in big part of automation). So no need to transfer much data of every user turn. So we can construct ships like we want, have some diifers visualization (different types of weapons and diferent beams-look), but we "delegate direct management of the fleet" to our fleet Admiral (Computer of couse). We only choose a major strategy at every phase.

So it can be user-liked and not havy to computing.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment