Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

User interface suggestions - System build orders, ship builds,

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Nov 29, 2012, 1:13:31 PM
Hello,

first post and all. smiley: smile

I have followed the development of endless space with great interest and excitement, and I have some suggestions on features in regards to how the user interface for systems and ship modification works (finally, working as a user interface designer pays off!).

First off, I would like to suggest a checkbox for if you want to convert your overhead industry to science or dust. It's simply silly to have to always add it to the back of the cue.

Second, I would suggest that you create build cues that can be saved, preferably between sessions. These build cues would then be "unlocked" as you gain the required technologies (and perhaps retired once you reach another build cue or a pre-defined technology). This would speed up micro-management of new colonies immensely, especially if you play on large maps. I envision them to simply be an icon as every other improvement, that when clicked adds any missing improvements/ships to the build cue.

Third, I would suggest that you create the same thing for ship-builds, that is ship-builds that unlocks as you gain the required technologies and is removed when you advance further. As it is now, to build your standard fleet you have to:

1. Modify x designs.

2. Build x ships in a system.

I just want to press a button once the scientific work is♥done smiley: smile

Thats it for me, I hope you take these suggestions as the feedback it is supposed to be.

Thanks for a great game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 29, 2012, 3:35:47 PM
I'm not sure about the conversion - I quite like the way it works now.

Build Queues, yes but in a way that doesn't make the game look more daunting/complex to new players. Of course you could also simply use specific AI Governors and they would effectively do the same thing - they build things according to a specific priority. This could be changed to a template system where you can re-do the templates through an in-game editor and select the exact priority order for all available buildings.

Saved ship designs: Absofragginglutely - this would make life a lot easier for those who often use the same designs.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 29, 2012, 7:03:54 PM
EvilTactician wrote:
I'm not sure about the conversion - I quite like the way it works now.

The problem with it is that you lose the industry into the void if you forgot the thing at the end... perhaps not a checkbox, but having it as a permanent thing at the back of the cue would work better?

EvilTactician wrote:
Build Queues, yes but in a way that doesn't make the game look more daunting/complex to new players. Of course you could also simply use specific AI Governors and they would effectively do the same thing - they build things according to a specific priority. This could be changed to a template system where you can re-do the templates through an in-game editor and select the exact priority order for all available buildings.

The problem with the AI-governors are that they are... odd. Anyways, I'l fix a mockup of what I would like to see and post it, and you could take a stab at it and tell me if you think its crazy smiley: smile

EvilTactician wrote:
Saved ship designs: Absofragginglutely - this would make life a lot easier for those who often use the same designs.

Yepp. Like me smiley: smile
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment