New Hero Portraits: New Minor faction, rather than existing faction

Yes, all new Species
Some new Species, and some portraits of existing Factions
No, only portraits of existing Factions
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Dec 5, 2012, 4:13:22 PM
I'd like to suggest that many or all of the new hero portraits earned over the free weekend be of new alien types, rather than characters of existing, playable factions.

• It makes more sense to have heroes of random minor aliens, than of a faction that is likely your empire's foe.
  • I think new species would be more interesting and more easy to distinguish from existing heroes.
  • It hints at the galaxy being a bigger and more complex place.
  • Could possibly be used by modders for custom species -- at least eventually.
  • That dino guy looks pretty cool.

0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 5, 2012, 4:28:32 PM
Seems like a fine suggestion to me!

Would make the game more realistic.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 5, 2012, 4:35:32 PM
Half and half, just because one enemy if UE, doesn't make the entire species your enemy.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 5, 2012, 4:55:20 PM
I second that, I like the idea of making the galaxy seem bigger and more diverse. Especially if combined with a linked galaxies feature or remote systems lying further out and only waiting to be found by stray wanderers etc bla bla would really help!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 6, 2012, 3:57:22 PM
n18991c wrote:
I second that, I like the idea of making the galaxy seem bigger and more diverse. Especially if combined with a linked galaxies feature or remote systems lying further out and only waiting to be found by stray wanderers etc bla bla would really help!

I don't think you need other galaxies to explain how minor species appear in the game.

There's the anomaly "friendly natives" -- those could be the source of some heroes.

Also ES mostly takes place on a large scale. It doesn't strain credibility to imagine that there are unnoticed out there small fleets of ships fleeing a dead homeworld, or tiny colonies clinging to life. These things aren't big enough to be noticed in the game of interstellar empires, but they do occasionally produce heroes.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 6, 2012, 10:35:33 PM
eleazzaar wrote:
Also ES mostly takes place on a large scale. It doesn't strain credibility to imagine that there are unnoticed out there small fleets of ships fleeing a dead homeworld, or tiny colonies clinging to life. These things aren't big enough to be noticed in the game of interstellar empires, but they do occasionally produce heroes.

"these things aren't big enough to be noticed"? Says who? Also, if you applied that logic across the board then the pirates shouldn't exist either because they don't represent an "interstellar empire". That's just nonsense.

You're right in that it doesn't strain credibility to imagine that there's more going on in the ES galaxy than meets they eye and Lore is helpful in this regard, but I didn't pay money just so I could then imagine things which aren't there. The more things are hands on and can be explored/manipulated/experienced the better! Produce more heroes, fine, but don't stop there...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 6, 2012, 11:04:52 PM
n18991c wrote:
"these things aren't big enough to be noticed"? Says who?

I'm just explaining how minor species heroes could be understood to exist in the game, without necessarily adding other new content or mechanics.

I'm not arguing that minor species shouldn't have a more developed place in the game as some sort of minor faction / "city state" sort of thing. But that's not the point of this thread.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment