Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Smoothless zoom from galaxy to planet

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 2:02:28 AM
So I'm rather enjoying the game, but I've come across a clunky bit of interface design.

When you're working with planets, you have to transition smoothly between galaxy, system, and planet screens multiple times a turn. As it is, this involves zooming in enough to find the right system, then clicking on it to open the system screen, and then clicking on the correct planet to get the planet screen.

Then, to get back OUT, you have to either go to the top right menu, or close out of each screen in turn. Clunky.

I propose:

1. If you zoom in to the current limit, and your cursor is over a system on the galaxy map, you can zoom in again/further to go to the system view, like you would by double-clicking on it.

2. Putting your cursor on a planet and zooming in with the scroll wheel gives you the screen for that planet (where you go to choose exploitations/moon probe/reduce anomalies).

3. Scrolling out a bit from either of the mentioned screens returns you to the next screen up. This can either be:

a) continuous (if you scroll past a certain point, it moves you out a screen, otherwise you snap back to the one you were on (potentially also useful for seeing a system/planet screen without shifting fully to it)), or;

b) a discrete command (using the scroll wheel, even just a little bit, causes a screen change, and stops any further use of the wheel from registering until you let go (less fluid, but it prevents you from going too far)).

I personally prefer the continuous option, but I don't know what the engine is capable of handling, and I'm certainly not representative of all users. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 3:58:38 AM
Not a bad idea, really. It's one of those things which would take a lot of tweaking to get the "feel" perfect, but being able to use the scroll wheel to zoom in on systems/planets would make intuitive sense.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 4:33:07 PM
I like thid idea too, although I'm not sure I'd use it to zoom in quite so much as I would zoom out.

It would be nice if rolling the wheel backwards on the planet screen went back to the system screen, and likewise from the system to the galaxy
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 6:20:25 PM
I agree with the suggestion though in the time being, you can use the Empire and Galaxy buttons to jump between systems (they all work regardless of screen). And if you're just looking at production, if you're in the Empire map, you can click on the item being produced to bring up the production selection box on the bottom of the screen.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 10, 2012, 11:10:07 AM
This thread is the origin of discussions about smoothlessly zooming from galaxy level to planet level without loosing any information.

Other threads about this have been archived:

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13395-suggestion-zooming-into-details

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13407-suggestion-ship-icons-scaling-on-map

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13375-suggestion-keep-visual-information-on-multiple-zoom-levels

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13542-suggestion-ui-the-galaxy-map-all-information-on-all-zooms

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13765-suggestion-option-to-keep-areas-of-influence-visible-also-at-max-galaxy-zoom-out

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13866-option-to-show-the-empire-borders-when-on-max-zoom

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13890-most-zoomed-out-galaxy-map-should-show-empire-borders

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13928-zoom-out-while-still-seeing-systems

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13988-bird-s-eye-view-see-the-entire-galaxy-with-systems-territory-cosmic-lanes

Feel free to post here about this topic here and inform yourself about the variations the threads listed above have already discussed, but don't open new suggestion threads for anything alike. smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 6, 2012, 7:50:27 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
This thread is the origin of discussions about smoothlessly zooming from galaxy level to planet level without loosing any information.

Other threads about this have been archived:

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13988-bird-s-eye-view-see-the-entire-galaxy-with-systems-territory-cosmic-lanes

This thread is about shifting between planets, systems, and galaxy. It concerns transitioning between existing details.

My thread is about the lack of basic information available at the maximum zoom. It concerns creating a currently non-existent overview.

How the overview is achieved could be via any means and it is inconsequential if the transition is seamless (as per this topic).

Would it be possible to return it to its own thread?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 7, 2012, 2:38:33 PM
I'm fairly sure that this is not possible currently, or at least, not feasible.

Recoding the way the engine handles the transition would take far too much time compared to what you would gain, i think.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment