Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Earning Research for a tech by killing ships and getting systems with improvements.

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Dec 12, 2012, 2:36:30 AM
Since you face off with enemy ships that are made using tech that you don't have and take systems with Improvements you can't make, there should be a way to get research points towards those techs.

For example, if I take a system with an Optics Research Labs, I should be able to get research points towards Wave function Control as a one-time bonus. Maybe there is a button next to Scrap when I click on the Improvement.

Also, if I fight an enemy fleet with Active Mirroring defenses and win the battle, I should get a research points toward Advanced Fusion Power. Maybe heroes can even have an ability to get more points toward this.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 12, 2012, 3:11:21 AM
There are faction traits that give you research points when you kill enemy ships.

It won't be towards what they have, but more towards what you are researching. The Cravers have this for example.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 12, 2012, 7:12:38 AM
Igncom1 wrote:
There are faction traits that give you research points when you kill enemy ships.

It won't be towards what they have, but more towards what you are researching. The Cravers have this for example.

It's a fine ability, but it's faction-specific and thus of no use to anyone else. It's also overly general and counter to immersion.

Being able to actually get the tech from your attacker/defender means that tech parity is more quickly achieved in a war and there are rewards for good play more definite than simple survival or gaining more systems. It also feels cool to steal tech from enemies who lose battles, but not if you can only do it as the Cravers or a custom race.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 12, 2012, 7:29:42 AM
Why not have that as a % probability? I mean you can't exactly learn too much from a total wreck?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 12, 2012, 7:40:03 AM
A percentage chance for some research points seems overly complicated. You could just have variable amounts of points given each battle. Then each battle feels like a success.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 12, 2012, 11:12:43 AM
You could apply the same affect to a module in fleets for this, although I don't see the immersion beaker.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment