Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Naming Planets/Systems

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 12:48:16 AM
I really enjoy this game, but I am a little bothered by the inability to rename planets and systems you control as it seems to be a pretty standard feature in 4X games. I'd really like to have that added to the game but thats just my two cents though. I just feel that names like "Polarius IV" are a little unoriginal and break immersion a bit.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 12:49:25 AM
I believe you can rename your systems. You click on the system in question, displaying the planets, then in the top right corner (thereabouts anyway) you should see the system name. Click on that, and rename it as you see fit. I'm not sure about the individual planets though. Could be handled the same way, but at that particular planet's screen.

Edit: I double checked to make sure I wasn't thinking of another game... this is the one; I renamed my home system Sol Imperialis while playing as the Empire.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 12:53:54 AM
smiley: wink No problem. Still can't recall if it works for planets individually though.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 12:56:42 AM
They could have it so that a planet with "distinctive" features could have its own name, say if it has unusually rich resources or is highly habitable or is the only planet in the system. Maybe if there is a Hero commanding the surveying vessel they have a chance to name it something inline with their personality.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 1:05:35 AM
From my experience, one can indeed rename the system as a whole, but not individual planets. I think planet-by-planet naming should be an option, since it feels weird having my "homeworld" starter planet have a "Sun #" name. I don't mind it so much for colonies, but imagine if we Terrans claimed to hail from "Sol 3"...
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 1:41:41 AM
I agree Kimarous that it would be nifty to name each individual planet, I can't help but start naming systems after greek or norse mythology myself. Maybe a little bit of Japanese names thrown in there just cause I can't help but naming systems and planets after the aggressiveness/civilization type that I'm playing
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 6:07:34 AM
I feel like I should try to find some alliterations that will display right in alphabetical order on the empire tab. Terran Turrets Track... doh let me go google for the rest.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 3:26:20 PM
I think renaming individual planets is really important for immersion.

Like someone else said, we don't live on Sol III.

For me, immersion and belief in the society I'm meant to be governing is really important in a 4X game. Its really important to feel that what lies beneath the UI is a breathing empire, not a spreadsheet. GalCiv 2 got it right with touches like the political parties and elections, and the ability to name planets, and little touches like when you click on the planet info screen there's a quote from a colonist giving you a snapshot of public opinion on the settlement.

To me it seems like giving the ability to rename individual planets in ES should be easy enough to achieve as I would imagine its a largely cosmetic thing and wouldn't affect any of the code in the background. Even treating planet names like user-defined tags would be something, so that for example the game would still consider a planet to be called "Sol III", but the player could add "Earth" as a tag or something.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 4:39:09 PM
Err I live on Sol III, that other people call it Earth is their problem, not mine. ;p

More seriously, I agree on the immersion aspect but frankly, it is secondary, as the whole economy is steered on a system basis and not on a planetary basis. I tend to specialize my systems in my plays: many planets around a star, I go full with industry and have an arsenal system. Small system with the right boni, here we go, braintrust... and so on. smiley: smile

Branoic wrote:
I think renaming individual planets is really important for immersion.

Like someone else said, we don't live on Sol III.

For me, immersion and belief in the society I'm meant to be governing is really important in a 4X game. Its really important to feel that what lies beneath the UI is a breathing empire, not a spreadsheet. GalCiv 2 got it right with touches like the political parties and elections, and the ability to name planets, and little touches like when you click on the planet info screen there's a quote from a colonist giving you a snapshot of public opinion on the settlement.

To me it seems like giving the ability to rename individual planets in ES should be easy enough to achieve as I would imagine its a largely cosmetic thing and wouldn't affect any of the code in the background. Even treating planet names like user-defined tags would be something, so that for example the game would still consider a planet to be called "Sol III", but the player could add "Earth" as a tag or something.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 7:04:23 PM
Its a little dull that your planets can only be named after the name of the sun. Its like if every planet in the SOL system would be SOL 1, SOL 2, Earth would be SOL 3, and so on.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 18, 2012, 9:22:24 AM
This thread is the origin of discussions about naming planets. (Systems can be renamed, already)

Other threads about this have been archived:

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13760-naming-star-systems-planets

Feel free to post here about this topic here and inform yourself about the variations the threads listed above have already discussed, but don't open new suggestion threads for anything alike. smiley: wink
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 12, 2013, 1:05:02 AM
I'm okay with the planets not being nameable, but dang there need to be more built-in System names. I'm tired of fighting over Zhaev every other game!
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment