Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Diplomacy Screens - Your Next Expansion

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Jun 25, 2013, 10:08:38 AM
arithon wrote:
Definitely love those old MOO screenshots.

It wouldn't take much, diplomacy screen that is lightly animated would be great but even a static image would be nice. It would also be great if they showed your race and the race of your contact as well, really helps immersion. They don't need to go over the top like CIV 5 leaders, but something would be better than nothing.

Also love the scientist presenting new techs you discover- RARELY in these types of games do you ever see your own race in the game.

Some sort of galactic news service would be great too.

MOO 1 is still the king to me even though it's so dated. It really made you feel like the ruler of a strange alien race.

Dont forget a screen with a trooper presenting you the techs you "acquired" after you conquered those Sophon worlds + spy screen smiley: stickouttongue I would really love to see how those may look like (Sophon trooper :greensmiley: smile
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 23, 2013, 7:59:42 PM
Doesn't star drive have an animated version of this. Star COntrol was good with this stuff as well.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 23, 2013, 10:32:48 PM
Those MOO screens are EXACTLY what Endless Space needs to make this the real 4X king. Those screens have A LOT to do with why modern 4X games (save Civilization 4 and 5) just don't really compel me any more. Those kind of things really added to the immersion and helped me genuinely feel like I was the Emperor of my very own race. Even the flavor text did something for the immersion.

Being able to stare at a Sower diplomat as I tell them that I'm coming for their planets - yes, ALL of them - would make this game significantly more difficult to put down for me.

That, and having my own people come to me to report on new research breakthroughs. Why has Master of Orion been the only game series to do that?

And why, after ALL OF THIS TIME, has no one tried to just straight mimic what MOO and MOO2 did, just with a coat of shinier paint? Or just take the best parts and give it their own spin?

Please, I beg of you, make another expansion and add this stuff. Your artists are very, very well capable and Endless Space desperately needs this type of personality overhaul.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 24, 2013, 12:53:29 AM
DFF: The current diplomacy system always looked to me like a place holder. My guess is that it really depends on how this paid expansion works out for them.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 24, 2013, 12:59:56 AM
It did like like a stand in.

Would be nice if your races government (Whether you choose it or it's static for factions) determined how diplomacy worked. Like corporate and democracy's voted based on population numbers or number of board members, and dictatorships had more definite actions, but usually resulted in unrest for the populations.

So you would be at odds with your people, and it gave them more life, like you were actually in a populated empire.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 24, 2013, 12:47:08 PM
Yeah, in general, diplomacy should be the next expansion. Adding additional artwork and diplomacy screens in and of itself would be enough to keep me playing pretty much forever.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 24, 2013, 1:49:48 PM
IMHO ES already has a couple of diplomatic screens that could only use some animation.

We have one for Horatio:

and one for UE:

Now we only need the rest :P
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 24, 2013, 3:04:15 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
It did like like a stand in.

Would be nice if your races government (Whether you choose it or it's static for factions) determined how diplomacy worked. Like corporate and democracy's voted based on population numbers or number of board members, and dictatorships had more definite actions, but usually resulted in unrest for the populations.

So you would be at odds with your people, and it gave them more life, like you were actually in a populated empire.

race governments would be the most awesome thing of all for me, maybe even more then espionage or at least at the same importants and awesomness.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 24, 2013, 9:12:06 PM
vahouth wrote:
IMHO ES already has a couple of diplomatic screens that could only use some animation.

We have one for Horatio:

and one for UE:

Now we only need the rest :P

Agreed. I think it's an easy step from what they already have and the importance of additional personality and immersion cannot be overstated.

What does it take to get this ball rolling? Have they already stated their intentions for any possible second expansion?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 24, 2013, 9:19:20 PM
Definitely love those old MOO screenshots.

It wouldn't take much, diplomacy screen that is lightly animated would be great but even a static image would be nice. It would also be great if they showed your race and the race of your contact as well, really helps immersion. They don't need to go over the top like CIV 5 leaders, but something would be better than nothing.

Also love the scientist presenting new techs you discover- RARELY in these types of games do you ever see your own race in the game.

Some sort of galactic news service would be great too.

MOO 1 is still the king to me even though it's so dated. It really made you feel like the ruler of a strange alien race.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 23, 2013, 2:30:34 PM
Good to see that more ppl like this. Its very simple just plain screens that dont slow down the game and add more feeling. Would really love to see how a pilgrim spy looks like, or a sophon trooper smiley: cool Amplitude got very talented ppl just use that talent add more pretty screens that make that game beautiful.

P.S. diplomacy screens also had race specific music themes smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 25, 2013, 12:08:09 PM
You could add these Static(or slightly shifting) Diplomacy screens as "Windows" between the background and the Trade interface(which would be a bit more transparent).
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 25, 2013, 6:19:07 PM
Ca_Putt wrote:
You could add these Static(or slightly shifting) Diplomacy screens as "Windows" between the background and the Trade interface(which would be a bit more transparent).

Yeah, I would like either.

Amplitude, please, please, pretttttttttttttty please? smiley: smile
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 2, 2013, 2:20:32 PM
This and the espionage system are the only things that I really miss in this game. The game has great intros and concept art but its used so rarely that the game feals sterile.

There is no immersion, no feel for your or others races. Everyting is done by popups and tables without any flavour to them. It needs just so little to overcome this... Use your concept arts ingame more... Everywhere! smiley: smile
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 22, 2013, 4:20:38 AM
This would indeed be cool. It would be nice if there were dialogue options or various possible reactions on our side and the ai side.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 22, 2013, 1:10:52 PM
As much as i would absolutely LOVE some decent unique diplomacy screens for the different races, i think diplomacy needs a huge overhaul first, at the moment i got races declaring war on me for no good reason after a mutually beneficial alliance or swapping alliances every 2 minutes and having everyone invite me to several different alliances and having penalty put on me for someone else breaking deals with me.

also.... Espionage hero's anyone?????
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 22, 2013, 6:48:50 PM
I think some more graphics as food for some imagination could be easy done, but i agree that the diplomatic system need a re-factoring too.

Thanks for showing those moo1-references, they are generally pretty the same (but older) than in moo2 were used.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 22, 2013, 8:40:30 PM
I like this idea very much. I think the whole diplomacy screen needs a re-work. Why oh why are the luxery/strategic resources at the bottom displayed as 1/2 on your side but then 1(2) on the opponents.

On the note of espionage heroes I would like to add unique to faction infront of that. Its weird when you play horatio and get tons of other faction heroes which they would most likely consider repulsive.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 21, 2013, 8:58:18 AM
T41 wrote:
Oh smiley: frown.... Got my hopes up go nothing. But hopefully not it might still be interesting smiley: wink

The AMAS-System is really nice nevertheless.

It helps a lot in adding personality to the AIs.

Especially for the aggressive ones.

Having someone declare war on you really early now actually can happen.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 20, 2013, 8:35:31 PM
This+ a good and innovative Espionage System and Endless Space will be the best 4X Game of all time, even better then the praised Master of Orion series.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 20, 2013, 8:40:46 PM
Oh yes, espionage. That'd be fantastic.

Pipe dream would be all of these, with the addition of animated ground combat. I'll pay for 100 copies?...
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 20, 2013, 9:47:07 PM
Who really cares about animated diplomacy after you have see it 5+ times? I usually skip it to get the the real focus ie treaties after the shine is gone.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 20, 2013, 10:52:49 PM
T41 wrote:
This seems like agents, right, so check that off smiley: biggrin.

But it's just a cool sounding synonym for "Diplomacy that considers some other stuff besides attitude."
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 21, 2013, 2:33:23 AM
Ail wrote:
But it's just a cool sounding synonym for "Diplomacy that considers some other stuff besides attitude."

Oh smiley: frown.... Got my hopes up go nothing. But hopefully not it might still be interesting smiley: wink
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 21, 2013, 7:40:06 AM
Ashbery76 wrote:
Who really cares about animated diplomacy after you have see it 5+ times? I usually skip it to get the the real focus ie treaties after the shine is gone.

Unfortunately, you are right. After a few times, such screens get annoying...
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 21, 2013, 7:59:46 AM
Diplomacy screen with a small race theme would be the best smiley: cool

At least it doesnt slow down the game its just a screen that adds more taste to the game and nothing more so why the fuz and the negative comments? smiley: confused
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 21, 2013, 8:08:59 AM
Nomas wrote:
Diplomacy screen with a small race theme would be the best smiley: cool

At least it doesnt slow down the game its just a screen that adds more taste to the game and nothing more so why the fuz and the negative comments? smiley: confused

Good point there with the theme smiley: smile
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 20, 2013, 8:30:35 PM
This game lacks immersion when it comes to diplomacy. The rest of the game has become one of the best space-based 4x games of our generation, but it really needs some love in the diplomacy department.

I want my first encounter with alien species to be a big affair. Not just some 2 second blip on the events bar.

I want the alien races I encounter to hail me on their ship, a la Stardrive or Master of Orion, with flavor text and beautiful artwork in the background (your hero portraits make it very obvious that someone there has the talent to make this a beautiful reality). Again, reference MOO and Stardrive when you speak to other races.

Give me more options for relations. Let me tell another race that I will hunt them down if they don't give me money/research/anything.

I'm super excited for Disharmony, but you need better diplomacy before this game can become a true legend. Please give it to us.

WOULDN'T A DIPLOMACY SCREEN LIKE THIS ADD SOME REAL FLAVOR TO ES?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 21, 2013, 9:04:01 AM
The thing with these diplomacy screens is I just wouldn't care about them unless you could customise them for your own race in multiplayer games. If you could create your own custom screen with your own text and message then that would be excellent!
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 21, 2013, 9:42:09 AM
InFlamesWeTrust wrote:
The thing with these diplomacy screens is I just wouldn't care about them unless you could customise them for your own race in multiplayer games. If you could create your own custom screen with your own text and message then that would be excellent!

"Make-Your-Own-Diplomacy-Screen-Kit-Mod" or somthing like this lol

Pretty cool if this would be able to do someday. smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 21, 2013, 3:41:33 PM
well its the Art of illusion

in Stardrive you realy get the illusion that you are talking with that race/raceleader just like in the Civ Series.

for persons with fantasy this is a important thing.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 22, 2013, 3:15:34 PM
It got to the point in Civ' V that I'm usually cursing the leader (I'm lookin' at you, GHANDI!), not the people... and I love that. Even if it would eventually be something we'd gloss over, it would still add a ton of personality to the game.

Not to mention the idea of having an audience with Horatio or Maximilian Zelevas seems awesome to me.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 22, 2013, 10:20:35 PM
Civ 5 has great immersion with characters... and great character to it as well due to its amazing diplomacy screens.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 22, 2013, 10:26:32 PM
I suppose you could get a screen of a races diplomatic meeting, like a UE boardroom overlooking an industrial centre, or a Pilgrim Meeting place on-board a city ship.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 23, 2013, 6:35:50 AM
I present some screenshots from a 20 year old 4-x game that did pretty well in using art for immersion:

Colonizing a new planet:

Getting tech from a colonization event:

Colonizing a different planet-type looks different:

Talking to another race in diplomacy (the Silicoids, kinda like the Harmony):

And another race (the Bulrathi, there's no real pendant for them in ES):

One more, the Humans (like the Pilgrims):

This is a victory-condition: Who gets voted for in the galactic-council wins. If you don't get voted and do not accept the voting you go at war against all of them at once. Very fun feature!

Events or general things of interest came in the form of a GNN-News Report:

The Psilons (like the Sophon):

Ground invasion: You have to send actual population to kill another planets population, you can bomb them before to soften them up but this also damages the infrastructure, so you have to carfully consider how much you bomb

splitting the post in 2 because of 10-images-limit...
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 23, 2013, 6:39:26 AM
The rest:

More GNN-News:

Tech-Trading: After accepting a deal, their Scientists explain you what you got:

Successfull Spies:

Tech gained by conquering an opponents planet, note how different the tropper looks from a spy:

And tech gained by research, once again the guy presenting the tech looks completely different:

Diplomacy with Alkari (pendant to the Hissho):

So it really is just using images here and there but this really created a kind of immersion that a lot of modern games are lacking.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment