Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Include option to disable autosave

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 12, 2012, 5:03:03 AM
Just something to add to any patch, if you would be so kind. Not going to hurt anything for those that have no use for it.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 12, 2012, 11:02:59 AM
Moved to the right section. Please post suggestions only in the proposals section.

Renamed title.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 12, 2012, 2:33:59 PM
Could somebody explain why you *don't* want autosaves? Is it to make the game harder, knowing that you cannot back up in case of an error?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 12, 2012, 2:51:00 PM
davea wrote:
Could somebody explain why you *don't* want autosaves? Is it to make the game harder, knowing that you cannot back up in case of an error?

Autosaves take space on your hard drive. I guess that is why they would like an option to disable it.
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 9, 2014, 1:20:40 PM
I support this proposal. My game is on SSD, and too many writes are not healthy for disk.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 26, 2015, 8:49:25 PM
davea wrote:

Because people like to decide for themselves when their game is saved, using manual saves. It is much easier to "back up" to a save you created manually just before doing something than to an autosave which is arbitrarily situated at the end of the turn after all of the actions have been queued up.

Xzar wrote:
I support this proposal. My game is on SSD, and too many writes are not healthy for disk.

Unless your SSD is old (in SSD terms this means 3+ years), this is no longer an issue. The only way you could possibly wear out the circuits in a modern SSD is to continuously write to the same location every millisecond for a year. You do, of course, disable defrag on your SSD, right? Because defragging an SSD is meaningless and will only wear it out faster without giving any performance increase. Also disable search indexing, that will also cause excessive wear.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043634/how-to-stretch-the-life-of-your-ssd-storage.html
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment