Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Composite Suggestion] Base-building and First Person View?

Copied to clipboard!
13 years ago
Mar 16, 2012, 11:38:54 PM
X series are 4X games and actually in "first person view" :] And you have tons of things to manage and it works quite well smiley: smile

But that do not means that I see the point of FPS view for EP.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 20, 2012, 8:40:29 PM
The question is its possible to use a wormhole in Rl? smiley: wink

"Ready for Warp, Data?"

"Yes Sir!"

"Energy!"
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 20, 2012, 8:27:09 PM
Zep' wrote:
X series are 4X games and actually in "first person view" :] And you have tons of things to manage and it works quite well smiley: smile

But that do not means that I see the point of FPS view for EP.

Err no it is not.It might have some elements but it is not a 4X game.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 20, 2012, 7:04:29 PM
Ah, I think you're right about that. Not sure what I was thinking when I read that earlier. haha. Thanks for pointing it out to me. It certainly sounds like you've watched a lot of Stargate. smiley: wink While there are definitely ways around the Iris, that makes it even better for gameplay. What if the Iris constructed around a wormhole becomes a liability instead of protection? Creating a massive meltdown or explosion because of the Iris could cripple any other defenses around the wormhole. This is a fun topic, but I really don't see it being feasible in the game. Just food for thought. smiley: smile
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 20, 2012, 6:41:22 PM
Shazbot wrote:
As I understand it, the only way to travel between constellations, currently, is through wormholes. Did I get that wrong? I also just thought of the Stargate TV series. This is complete and utter nonsense, but what if you could build a giant shield thing around a wormhole entrance. Like in Stargate, anything trying to come through would smash against the shield and be destroyed. haha. Silly, I know, but it's an entertaining thought.

Even in Stargate there were quite a lot of ways around that. Some people had the tech to ignore the Iris, others simply kept the wormhole open and shot sth. through to heat the naquada and make it into a very nasty bomb.

However:

SpaceTroll wrote:

This could lead to 6 steps in space travel:[LIST=1]
  • String Induction Drive (between solar systems)
  • Wormholes (between constellations)
  • Warp movement (free movement between any 2 stars, but way slower than string induction)
  • Faster String Drive
  • Wormhole 'freeway' (between any 2 visited Wormholes)
  • Faster Warp movement (becomes nearly as fast as String Drive)

• [/LIST]

I understand point 3 and 6 the way that you can travel between any two stars anywhere. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    0Send private message
    13 years ago
    Mar 20, 2012, 6:35:07 PM
    Nosferatiel wrote:
    Interesting idea, but it has two strategical downsides:

1) If you can reach your target system without using the wormhole, walling it up just slows the enemy down.

As I understand it, the only way to travel between constellations, currently, is through wormholes. Did I get that wrong? I also just thought of the Stargate TV series. This is complete and utter nonsense, but what if you could build a giant shield thing around a wormhole entrance. Like in Stargate, anything trying to come through would smash against the shield and be destroyed. haha. Silly, I know, but it's an entertaining thought.
    0Send private message
    13 years ago
    Mar 20, 2012, 6:10:39 PM
    Shazbot wrote:
    The ability to create an "iron wall" around a wormhole would increase the tactical value of the gameplay.

Interesting idea, but it has two strategical downsides:

1) If you can reach your target system without using the wormhole, walling it up just slows the enemy down. I have no idea if it would be worth the resources to build massive defenses around the wormhole.

2) The stationary defenses would have to be substantial to have any kind of advantage in comparison to ships. That means they will be costly. Even more so, since you would not be able to build them on a planet. You'd have all the logistics problems to get the stuff to the construction site.

Otherwise I'd like the idea of choosing to either spread your installations around the planet, build (with appropriate techs) important structures underground (so they suffer reduced damage) or concentrate everything important under shield domes and plaster it with planetary defense systems.

It's probably overdoing it with all these ideas, though. We have to stay realistic about what is achievable. XD
    0Send private message
    13 years ago
    Mar 20, 2012, 6:00:15 PM
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I would thoroughly enjoy a Homeworld + Total War hybrid. Essentially Total War in space, i guess. haha.

Really, though, I love building up bases and building construction only makes sense when you're in control of a galactic civilization. I think leaving base construction out of a 4X game neglects an important factor in system and planet defense. The civ series uses buildings within cities to boost units' effectiveness in defensive battles. I would like to see a branch of the tech tree that favored people who like to turtle and allowed them to construct more powerful defensive structures. The ability to create an "iron wall" around a wormhole would increase the tactical value of the gameplay.
    0Send private message
    13 years ago
    Mar 20, 2012, 3:44:37 PM
    I know what a 4x game is and I know this is not an RTS. But imagine if in the Total War series you had some kind of say in the layout of your city. It always annoyed me how horribly defendable a city is in the series and wished I could have used my own design. Or like in civilization the layout of your city had some effect on the efficiency of the city.

A first person view is a stretch but would be really interesting.
    0Send private message
    13 years ago
    Mar 17, 2012, 3:53:00 AM
    My Privateer comment was more along the lines I can see a FPS sub game created in this rich universe quite easily.

But probably wouldn't make sense part of this main game to make it too complicated.
    0Send private message
    13 years ago
    Mar 16, 2012, 4:16:59 PM
    Is there any base building elements? Because that is always my favourite part of an RTS, building an impenetrable base.

Also, I remember way back I played an RTS that you could enter a first person view and command the ship. You could enter any vehicle and command it. That is something I would love to see although it may not be feasible. I find video-games these days are just saturated with shooters and I have been dying to play something I get to pilot.
    0Send private message
    13 years ago
    Mar 16, 2012, 9:34:27 PM
    This is not an RTS game, it's 4X which one can argue RTS is a type of; but nevertheless they are different things in this instance. Go play Battlezone 2 if you wanna have some RTS/FPS hybrid fun.
    0Send private message
    13 years ago
    Mar 16, 2012, 8:11:25 PM
    Do you know what a 4x is. Or what turn based? Or first person? Total war did it where you could zoom in on units, but not go first person. And this isn't like homeworld, it is turn based. And even then, it uses tiles.
    0Send private message
    13 years ago
    Mar 16, 2012, 7:09:44 PM
    Cloud wrote:
    Care to explain your opinion? I personally wouldn't mind a first person view, as long as its not required. And for base building...why not? I see no harm in it.

Because this is a galactic scale 4X game with a possible 10000 planets to manage and not Command and Conquer Modern Warfare.
    0Send private message
    13 years ago
    Mar 16, 2012, 7:05:05 PM
    Danne wrote:
    Bases= Maby

First Person View= Why would you want a first person view in a 4x game?

Both players can chose between an automatic (instant resolution) or manual battle. The automatic battle computes the outcome from the ships statistics of the opposing fleets.

If you choose the manual battle then why not have the option to go to first person view for one of your ships? In the same thread they said that they look for the civ, moo2, and total war type of game.
    0Send private message
    13 years ago
    Mar 16, 2012, 6:35:30 PM
    Cloud wrote:
    Care to explain your opinion? I personally wouldn't mind a first person view, as long as its not required. And for base building...why not? I see no harm in it.

Bases= Maby

First Person View= Why would you want a first person view in a 4x game?
    0Send private message
    13 years ago
    Mar 16, 2012, 6:32:35 PM
    Ashbery76 wrote:
    No and No.

0Send private message
    0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
    ?

Click here to login

Comment