Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Composite suggestion] Ship design system improvements

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 4:29:25 PM
There are two things I would very much like to see added to ship design.

First - A much higher design limit. If not no design limit. 10 designs is far too limited.

Second - The addition of none linear module progressions.

What I mean by the latter of the two suggestion is the addition of modules of the same type (projectile, missile, etc) that are not just simply better than the last. Have modules that are, effectively equally as effective, but in different ways. To some extent this does occur with modules but each module is an improvement of the last. What would be good is to have the ability to choose between say, a projectile module that has min damage 3 max damage 7 salo 7 and a projectile odule that has min damage 21 max damage 49 salvo 1. This way you can choose to put all your eggs in once basket (with a high damage gun that either does good damage or misses) or to spread your damage out (with a weapon that wont lose all its damage should a shot miss but is also more likely not to land all of its damage). Admitadly I have not progressed far enough down the tech tree to know whether later modules opperate in this manner but as far as I can tell from the tech tree icons it is simply a progression of modules getting better and better.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 4:37:28 PM
agreed. should give the players a choice, a weapon that have something of a quick firing, low-dmg/a slow-firing high-dmg variant and probably something in between for variety's sake.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 4:58:45 PM
Yes, obviously one extreme to the other is not desireable either. Several variants of differing stats but comparable meta strength would be ideal.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 5:38:44 PM
I hope devs have already thought about that. Because at the moment the ship design is pretty straightforward.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 6:18:22 PM
Well, there is a metagame concept build in but so far it isn't stressed that much. 3 types of weapons, 3 types of defenses. As of now defenses and weapons are straight up picked by what is the best. Stressing the right defense for right weapon gameplay would probably have the desired effect. This way you have to pick a Flak module (even if it is low tech) if the enemy comes up with missile heavy fleets. If you notice the enemy has good Flak himself you may want to switch to a kinetic weapon, if if it is worse in direct comparison to the missiles you unlocked.

A metagame like this would be especially interesting for multiplayer games.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 7:10:32 PM
We're talking about adding strategy within those catagories though. e.g. Going all or nothing with a 1 shot gun, or spreading your damage over 5 shots, or 7, etc. If we asume (for example) you have a 75% accuracy with all in 1 you're going to hit for high damage and obliterate your enemy 75% of the time and do no damage 25% of the time, wthan with 5 shot you could hit all 5, you could miss all five, but odds favour that each round you're going to land for or 5 shots, therefore doing less damage in one phase but also vastly reducing your chances of doing no damage at all. It would introduce a whole new aspect to ship design.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment