Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Planetary overview improvements

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 1:43:57 PM
There is currently a few features I think are lacking from planetary overview (aka mains screen):

1) I always want to know if my production is idle. While notification once definitely can help I still want to know if the system is idling for whatever reason.

2) I want to know if there are planets w/o exploits, new colonizable planets, new moons to survey. Notification can work but I think it will be too much spam especially for reasonably sized empire which just discovered moon surveying for example.

3) In case my system is under blockade I want to know it via a giant red arrow pointing there screaming danger. As of now if pirates are blockading my system I can only know that from Empire Overview or by having incredible sight and being able to discern black on black

4) If I am unable to colonize a system because it's in other's Empire influence zone I want to somehow know that w/o having to guess (I am still not sure if I guessed that correctly smiley: smile)

5) Like somebody suggested elsewhere, population happyness.

6) Hero attached to the system

7) Hero fleets

8) Fleet models changing depending on the size and composition. Maybe even scrap the model and use some icons because now it's impossible to understand at a glance whether I have a defender fleet or colony ship in orbit
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 1:56:30 PM
Hello,

I agree with you. The current system isn't sufficiently user friendly. Maybe a yellow circle could appear around systems concerned by notifications, and red ones by systems under attack. Agreed also that fleets in orbit should be overhauled, they are currently too hard to select.

Also, the menus could use a more streamlined approach, too cluttered currently.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 4:09:29 PM
ArrowLance wrote:
I believe there should be a notification when a system begins to be invaded.

Entirely hypothetical but here's why I think notification is not enough. Assume the following: you are being invaded, you receive the notification, dismiss it, save and go on your merry RL business. Come the next day you load your save game and remember that you were invaded somewhere by somebody. Your empire is covered with multicolored ship icons which may or may not be friendly. You also may have some black pirates you can't instantly see. Invading empire fleet may additionally be covered by your own fleet. Long story short you cannot, at a glance, understand the situation you're in. Very important information is not readily available in a clear manner.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 4:27:20 PM
SteamTrout wrote:
Entirely hypothetical but here's why I think notification is not enough. Assume the following: you are being invaded, you receive the notification, dismiss it, save and go on your merry RL business. Come the next day you load your save game and remember that you were invaded somewhere by somebody. Your empire is covered with multicolored ship icons which may or may not be friendly. You also may have some black pirates you can't instantly see. Invading empire fleet may additionally be covered by your own fleet. Long story short you cannot, at a glance, understand the situation you're in. Very important information is not readily available in a clear manner.

Simply have notifications reinitialize on loading from a save.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 4:30:06 PM
I think a buton to include in the queue of all planets a improvement would be usefull, also when you include a new contruction in the queue the infinite time developements like contruction to science or contruction to dust must automaticaly desapeard
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 5:39:29 PM
I see one primary solution for all your requests mouse-over pop-ups for systems .

A secondary solution are symbols next to planet name with varying color and suggestive elements (for example : crown symbol for governed systems , a skull for under invasion , a wall for blockades , crossed arms for idle systems ,and some sort of color scheme for approval rating or maybe a face that goes from red to green with facial features to match) .

And the all important "this systems needs you attention" flag in case I have "the DNfD Doctor House is on but i want to play one more turn" flag turned on
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 8:32:04 PM
SteamTrout wrote:
1) I always want to know if my production is idle.
The game tells you this it two different ways. First, at the start of every turn, you get a list of job completions. And second, you can go to the Empire Management, and sort on Production. You will see which ones have no job, and which ones are just about done.

2) I want to know if there are planets w/o exploits, new colonizable planets, new moons to survey.
A white dot next to the system's name on the galaxy map means there is a planet you can colonize in that system. To see the list of equipment currently installed in any system, Go into that system and click "Improvements" in the lower right. To see what hasn't been installed yet, just look at the list of available stuff on the lower left.

Note that it is NOT A GOOD IDEA to install everything on every system.

As for moons, yeah, there ought to be an indicator on the main system screen that shows when the moon is already explored.

3) In case my system is under blockade I want to know it via a giant red arrow pointing there screaming danger.
The giant red arrow is in the form of ENEMY FLEETS SURROUNDING YOUR WORLD. If that doesn't do it, nothing else will. Also, Empire Management screen. Any of your planets that are currently blockaded have a red planet icon on the left. Also, if you go into a system that is blockaded, there is flashing text in the upper right that says so.

4) If I am unable to colonize a system because it's in other's Empire influence zone I want to somehow know that w/o having to guess
Yeah, it would be nice if those planet bubbles next to the name were greyed out, or yellow or something.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 9:32:41 PM
jetkar wrote:
Some or all your suggestion have already been suggested in the Summary Suggestion thread /#/endless-space/forum/28-game-design/thread/13003-summary-of-suggestions-so-far-discussion

Yeah, those are about adding notifications. I think notifications aren't enough.

As for No. 5 this can be viewed on main empire screen which can be debatable and not therefore added.

Well, everything is debatable. However knowing at a glance that population is about to go on a strike is quite important. I just personally prefer to spend more time looking at shiny planets then on Empire Overview screen thus I want more information readily available for me there.

AngleWyrm wrote:
The game tells you this it two different ways. First, at the start of every turn, you get a list of job completions. And second, you can go to the Empire Management, and sort on Production. You will see which ones have no job, and which ones are just about done.

I mentioned that part because more than once I somehow managed to skip the notification for whatever reason (most likely because of combat screen popping up).

A white dot next to the system's name on the galaxy map means there is a planet you can colonize in that system.

That I know, yes. However I was talking more about when you get a new tech/get enough population that planet may flash slightly or something like that. Basically to notify you that colonization ability status has recently changed.

To see the list of equipment currently installed in any system, Go into that system and click "Improvements" in the lower right. To see what hasn't been installed yet, just look at the list of available stuff on the lower left.

I didn't mean improvements, I mean exploits. When you go to system detail screen you can see that some of the planets don't have them. However it would be nice to know from the overview that you have some unexploited planets. The reason I find this important is because w/o production queue drag-n-drop you can find yourself not building an exploit ASAP and then forgetting about it if you don't change the system production queue.

The giant red arrow is in the form of ENEMY FLEETS SURROUNDING YOUR WORLD. If that doesn't do it, nothing else will

You mean that green ship which may have been my ally's ship? Or that black on black pirate? I know of the other two ways to get that info however from the overview screen it is not immediately evident. Think Civilization and how it was obvious that you had an invading army in your borders/city.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 9:45:17 PM
ArrowLance wrote:
I believe there should be a notification when a system begins to be invaded.

Definitely this.

Also, would be very interesting to have a game event happen the very first time another race invades your system, and the first time you invade an enemy's system.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 9:56:16 AM
8) some sort of R.U.S.E. / Risk style overview would do. No need for the "ground level zoom" though.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment