Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Diplomacy suggestions

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 8:32:39 AM
NAP Related:

-Both parties should agree on a NAP duration, and on a penalty for breaking the pact.

-In addition to penalties, the relationship of other players with the one who betrayed the pact should deteriorate.

-Players/AI can still engage players that they signed a NAP with; if they are willing to pay the price.

-If a NAP is renewed, there should be an attitude bonus.

-Players with a NAP agreement will not receive negative expansion penalties for attitude. OR:

Cooperation Agreement (what does this thing do exactly???)

-Also nullifies the expansion penalty. Requires NAP between two parties.

-I need to note this; this isn't / shouldn't be a state. States should be War/Ceasefire/Peace/NAP/Alliance.

-Since this isn't diplomatic state, no one but the parties agree on this will be affected by attitude modifiers.

Cease-fire

-Similiar to NAP, but having much shorter durations (to catch up some breathe), and cannot be broken. Returns to "War" state unless a peace is agreed upon.

Alliance Related:

SANITY CHECKS PLEASE! (AI1 loves me. AI1 has a bad army. AI2 hates me. AI2 has the best army. AI1 accepts my alliance offer. AI2 crushes AI1 in 20 turns. Wut?)

-If we aren't sharing a common goal, alliance offers should be declined. Being close to an AI doesn't mean they should accept every alliance invitation immediately.

-Unlike NAP (suggestions), Alliance lasts as long as both parties benefit from it. When an alliance is forfeit however, both parties have to wait for a while before they can attack each other.

First Contact:

-Initial relationship with other races should be something similiar to peace agreement... Without a war, them blowing my ships up, it is annoying...

-Some races should have a tendency to like each other, or have diplomacy bonuses (as traits, maybe)

Additional Interactions/Requests (not just for AI's, but for future multiplayer aswell)

You click something called "Request" and these pop up:

"Ceasefire with..." - Asking someone to stop the war with someone else

"Make peace with..." - Asking someone to use the ceasefire period, and make love *cough*, I mean peace.

"Join arms against..." - Asking someone to join your war against someone else

"Sign a NAP with..." - Well, self explanatory

"Break all trade agreements with..." - All trade agreements will be dumped

and more... Wish we could select a "voice tone" like we could in MOO3 for example. If these are used on an AI, you get attitude bonuses/penalties depending on your relationship with the party you ask, and a bit from the other party if they agree. So, lets say you have 2 good trade partners, but they are at war with each other. You can use "Ceasefire with..." to try & broker a peace. If one side is winning, there is a great chance that they'll reject you. But maybe they are not militaristic in nature, and the war was a misunderstanding, and they offer an olive branch to the other guy. The other guy loves you (+attitude) for saving their a**es. But, if you don't have a great army/ they don't like you enough, you'll be hated (-attitude) for mocking them...

I watched some old game videos and found my MOO3 disk, that's why I'm suggesting the last part especially. Hopefully you liked my ideas.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 8:53:50 AM
In additional interactions a threaten interaction could be useful, based on strenght of your fleet or technology or something else.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 9:00:13 AM
lyravega wrote:

Additional Interactions/Requests (not just for AI's, but for future multiplayer aswell)

"Make peace with..." - Asking someone to use the ceasefire period, and make love *cough*, I mean peace.

Yes, please! These kind of requests add loads of interesting options to diplomacy, yet they are missing from many good games. They lead to very interesting situations, especially if AI is tuned to use them properly too.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 9:42:50 AM
I need to be able to blow up enemy ships the second I see them, don't enforce some silly peace treaty at the start.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 12:41:38 PM
Maybe it would be possible to include an option, where you can negotiate a certain "neutral zone" with another empire. So a belt of systems that neither should enter without breaking this contract and entering a war state, or have a certain penalty.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 4:49:38 PM
lyravega wrote:
NAP Related:

-Both parties should agree on a NAP duration, and on a penalty for breaking the pact.

-In addition to penalties, the relationship of other players with the one who betrayed the pact should deteriorate.

-Players/AI can still engage players that they signed a NAP with; if they are willing to pay the price.

-If a NAP is renewed, there should be an attitude bonus.

-Players with a NAP agreement will not receive negative expansion penalties for attitude. OR:

Cooperation Agreement (what does this thing do exactly???)

-Also nullifies the expansion penalty. Requires NAP between two parties.

-I need to note this; this isn't / shouldn't be a state. States should be War/Ceasefire/Peace/NAP/Alliance.

-Since this isn't diplomatic state, no one but the parties agree on this will be affected by attitude modifiers.

Cease-fire

-Similiar to NAP, but having much shorter durations (to catch up some breathe), and cannot be broken. Returns to "War" state unless a peace is agreed upon.

Alliance Related:

SANITY CHECKS PLEASE! (AI1 loves me. AI1 has a bad army. AI2 hates me. AI2 has the best army. AI1 accepts my alliance offer. AI2 crushes AI1 in 20 turns. Wut?)

-If we aren't sharing a common goal, alliance offers should be declined. Being close to an AI doesn't mean they should accept every alliance invitation immediately.

-Unlike NAP (suggestions), Alliance lasts as long as both parties benefit from it. When an alliance is forfeit however, both parties have to wait for a while before they can attack each other.

First Contact:

-Initial relationship with other races should be something similiar to peace agreement... Without a war, them blowing my ships up, it is annoying...

-Some races should have a tendency to like each other, or have diplomacy bonuses (as traits, maybe)

and more... Wish we could select a "voice tone" like we could in MOO3 for example. If these are used on an AI, you get attitude bonuses/penalties depending on your relationship with the party you ask, and a bit from the other party if they agree. So, lets say you have 2 good trade partners, but they are at war with each other. You can use "Ceasefire with..." to try & broker a peace. If one side is winning, there is a great chance that they'll reject you. But maybe they are not militaristic in nature, and the war was a misunderstanding, and they offer an olive branch to the other guy. The other guy loves you (+attitude) for saving their a**es. But, if you don't have a great army/ they don't like you enough, you'll be hated (-attitude) for mocking them...

I watched some old game videos and found my MOO3 disk, that's why I'm suggesting the last part especially. Hopefully you liked my ideas.

Some already suggested and added addional Interactions/requests linked here. With related discussion thread here where we can discuss it further
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 5:26:01 PM
Roawynn wrote:
In additional interactions a threaten interaction could be useful, based on strenght of your fleet or technology or something else.

By "voice tone", I meant kinda that. On MOO3, races had personalities. Some races liked it when everyone was shouting to (threatening) each other smiley: smile

Eheron wrote:
Maybe it would be possible to include an option, where you can negotiate a certain "neutral zone" with another empire. So a belt of systems that neither should enter without breaking this contract and entering a war state, or have a certain penalty.

You negotiate with one empire, while there are many others can take advantage of this neutral zone. And borders change a lot.

jetkar wrote:
Some already suggested and added addional Interactions/requests linked here. With related discussion thread here where we can discuss it further

That is a summary of suggestions. I am suggesting diplomacy specific stuff over here.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment