Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Suggestion: Space mines

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 7:34:41 PM
I remember many games of VGA Planets with my friends where the fear of getting caught in a dense web of mines deterred or change the plans of many attacks. Any additions to a game should compel difficult decisions. Mines do just that.

Given that the current movement model doesn't allow ships to be sent to ad hoc x,y coordinates, the mines would be laid at a system by a ship with a mines module. The minefield could be described by several properties: radius, density, damage, decay rate. A ship flying through the minefield would have a probability of hitting a mine(s) that varies with the density and radius and then suffer damage according to the strength of the mine.

This would spawn an array of new decisions. Given that the mines are expensive, it would be impractical to lay them everywhere. You could funnel your enemy into a minefield or use a minefield to force him into the clutches of your fleet.

And of course there would be new technologies and equipment: mine detection, clearing, avoidance, etc.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 7:50:08 PM
This just sounds like over clutter to me. Having to worry about mines when there are 12thousand different ways to travel to the same location.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 7:52:24 PM
VieuxChat wrote:
Maybe not for defending systems but for battles ?
I could understand a solar improvement that added to defense that had some flavour to do with mines. But an entire new system sounds like too much to me.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 7:57:41 PM
VieuxChat wrote:
One more building for defense wouldn't hamper the game.
I'm not sure it would improve it either.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 7:58:52 PM
More choices is always better. And I think that the defence from invasion hasn't enough things to choose from.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 8:06:23 PM
For the mines I propose alternative mechanics like immobilize the enemy fleet for some rounds (duration related with the extension of the field), I think every advanced military spaceship must be equipped for mine cleaning operation, maybe with the mechanics of "legend of galactic heroes", heavy bombardament with unstable particles from a far position, you are not damaged from the mines only blocked during the cleaning operation.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 6:29:41 PM
You have to see the mines as they are seen in modern conventional mechanized warfare. You don't assume that your enemy is going to run through your minefield. They are there to force him to stop or go around. They are a means by which you can channel your enemy where you are best able to deal with him.

On the other hand, should he not check for them then he could wade into a field and emerge at a star system depleted from a couple hits. Now, the battle that he anticipate will be distinctly to his disadvantage as his fleet is reduced.

With regards to the idea of the minefield being laid by a structure, I would disagree. Better to force the player to invest in ships and make the effort to lay and maintain the field. Minefields should be expensive as you don't want to see the map saturated with the things.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment