Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] ship formations

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 3:04:42 AM
Anybody remember "Homeworld"? It had great graphics for its time. One of the things I remember about it is fleet formations. You could select a formation before combat, and it would have some effect on the result. Depending on the fleet composition, you could get different effects. Small, fast ships would benefit from one formation; cap ships would benefit from a different one. This would add a needed tactical element to space combat. Also, the formations in the ES are pretty the first time, but they could really use some variety.

A google search "homeworld" "formations" gets a lot of hits but this is a good one:

http://rakrent.com/rtsc/html/hw7.htm
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 6:51:32 AM
I agree with your suggestion mate. I do believe that this addition to the system would add more depth to the gameplay process and increases player immersion into the actual battle process. Plus, I its realism too to have ships moving in battle formations to improve defenses or damage output.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 7:09:23 AM
Agreed - balancing between flexible, attack-heavy, defence-heavy and special purpose formations and doctrines would expand upon the current card system.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 10:44:47 AM
What about this, say you max out all your Command Points and you have two fully capped fleets in a system. Why not mix them together to create a spearhead or cork in a bottle neck?

Armada formation or something? they're number heavy and will take a few turns to knock down but will take a lot more time to travel to places.

Also for Admiral heroes or heroes in general I think that one per Armada would be more than enough, or maybe two Admiral heroes but cap their levels at 10 while they're in the Armada?

And if Armadas do get added I think you should be able to assign formations to the separate fleets involved or a selection of units you decide and have say a cap of 3 or 4 formations simultaneously in the one Armada.

Thoughts?

P.S. I also think a Carrier Hull should be added with an added bonus to the number of squadrons you can have/produce. They totally need their own formation! =D

EDIT: This one just occurred to me after I posted, Heroes with their own special/preferred formations.

EDIT 2.0: Formations with requirements? Might be too complicated but here's another idea,

- Patrol, Compromised of say the basic vessels (Corvettes and Destroyers?) has a 10% Bonus to defense while in your gravity wells?

- Raiders, Compromised of Destroyers, has a 10% Bonus to attacks while in enemy gravity wells and steals a portion of their income while no enemy fleets are present.

- Siege, Compromised of Cruisers and Battleships, 15% bonus to invasion. (needs and invasion module on each ship)

- Mixed race fleets/armadas? could help turn the tide for two allies against staggering odds (Might be too complicated to mix with the diplomacy aspect of the game...)

Thoughts? As I said probably too complicated but it might add a bit more to the combat although I definitely don't want it destroying the other features of the game.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment