Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Redesigning Heroes

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 6:55:44 AM
I've put about 22 hours into Endless Space at this point, and one thing I've really noticed is how the heroes are designed and being used. I feel like they could be a lot more influential, since it seems you get the first 3 (if you like them), and then it takes forever for you to get anymore of them. Even if you do get anymore, they're way too low of a level to compare to your first 3 at that point.

I feel there are two major options:

1-

I could see Heroes either being easier to obtain and more abundant (Academy cap naturally higher), or becoming much more influential alone. Reducing the number of heroes to 2 could work very well, with an empire overseer and a fleet overseer working as the two categories. If you did it this way, you could fine tune the hero to specifically improve the empire overall, and could include traits that affect certain planet terrains, anomalies, moons, or FIDS. The fleet master could improve certain types of cards, aspects of ships, CP, or even specific module types.

2-

If you made them more abundant and easier to obtain, I think they may affect the empire a lot more. You could pump up more than 3 major systems, and access more major fleets as well. Having only 3 to access was pretty inhibiting, since I never got to the research that improved the academy. Since they did do a lot to their assigned system, you could make them a little more expensive. (Per turn or flat first fee) However, I feel something has to change about them, because at this point they seem like their influence doesn't fit their name.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 8:31:16 AM
1. Heroes are influential enough, through leveling and gaining abilities a Hero can boost substantially your economy or your fleet capabilities. I see no need to have them providing extreme bonuses right at level 1.

Jackattack052 wrote:
Having only 3 to access was pretty inhibiting, since I never got to the research that improved the academy.

If you haven't increased your Heroes cap then it seems you had more important techs to research. It's all about priorities, there are a lot of important techs on all the 4 tech trees and that's the good thing about it, you are not given everything at the beginning of a game, instead a choice what to research and when is presented to you.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 9:28:12 AM
The junior heroes you get late game level up very fast and get useful pretty quickly if you stick them into a fleet and throw them into some big battles, I find.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 9:59:36 AM
i think administrator and corporates are getting the short end of the stick about skill choices : getting to laborer lvl 3 or 4 don't seem to unlock new skill choices and negociator lvl 3 or 4 just get food related bonus which is not very interesting compared to some bonus fleet master can unlock.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment