Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Star types

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 28, 2012, 2:36:04 PM
Hello,

It would be cool to have more star types in the game. For example from (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_classification) you can find the stars' spectral type:

O - blue, very hot, very rare

B - blue-white, hot, rare

A - white, common

F - yellow-white, common

G - yellow, common

K - orange, common

M - red, most common

WD - white dwarfs

Other rare star types can be included like:

WR - Wolf Rayet star

T - methane dwarf

C - Carbon star

Or having a subcategory of neutron stars like pulsars with pulsar planets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsar_planet) - which have already been discovered. Pulsar planets seem to have lost their atmosphere, leaving only the rocky surface and they are bombarded by intense radiation from the pulsar. In Endless Space, these planets could be colonized somewhere later in the game, after some radiation shielding research, providing a large science output and/or maybe some unique traits.

The second stellar classification could be related to the Yerkes class(based on the size and luminosity of the star):

0 hypergiants

I supergiants

II bright giants

III normal giants

IV subgiants

V main-sequence stars (dwarfs)

VI subdwarfs.

VII (uncommon) white dwarfs

Multiple star systems - could be extended a bit, I've seen only one binary type in the game (yellow + blue? - I may be mistaken); by extended I mean, having multiple combinations like red + yellow, white + white dwarf but also triple, quadruple and multiple star systems (for example Castor is a 6-star system).
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 28, 2012, 3:04:17 PM
good ideas, i reckon it would be also good to include black holes within the game, which you could design to cause destruction to elements, e.g. a fleet got pulled in and didnt quite make it out, or you could have planets orbiting them which have different to normal traits
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 28, 2012, 4:25:36 PM
and whenever your scout ship or fleet are suddenly gone after entering a previously unexplored system then you know that there must be a black hole located in there! All you need to do then is put up a sign outside the system for the AI saying "please send you fleets into this system if you wish to conquer me!" haha smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 28, 2012, 9:40:00 PM
Well, considering there's a science tech about black hole mining I guess we'll be seeing one of those.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 28, 2012, 10:20:31 PM
i'd also like this idea with the inclusion of pulsars where its impossible for ships to get close to these systems without adequate shielding, it could create choke points or strategic locations where a more powerful force can be overwhelmed because there shield strength is lowered by the star.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 29, 2012, 5:51:44 AM
moved to the proposals section
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment