Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Aesthetic suggestion for lasers

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 2:10:03 AM
Equidistant wrote:
But the point about technical stuff is well made. We in the peanut gallery aren't very good at telling how much dev time various ideas would take. Hopefully this is a simpler one.

This exactly, I'd love to have more visual (or even technical) differentiation between the techs/weapons styles. Something like SoTS with it's MIRV missiles, beams, bolts, burst kinetics, kinetic kill drivers, etc. However, if it takes precious time away from the design of core elements of the game, adding more content, or just balancing it should be left for the modders.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 2:19:19 AM
Equidistant wrote:
I'd prefer if all beam weaponry used actual beams instead of bolts, not just some; this would create clear visual distinctions between the three weapon categories. You could do a lot of variation on beams using fire time / fire length; weaker beams could have shorter and more infrequent firing animations; more powerful ones could be continuous, etc; truly powerful ones could be a blinding column of light.

But the point about technical stuff is well made. We in the peanut gallery aren't very good at telling how much dev time various ideas would take. Hopefully this is a simpler one.

Well said. Maybe with all the interest in the game since it went on Steam, they'll bring in more help. haha.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 9:17:07 AM
I agree with OP, Beam weapons would be more athletically pleasing, but i have an idea for a compromise, intial beam technology could be bolts, and then as they level up it would become beams, just an idea smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 2:55:07 AM
Would it be possible to have laser weapons appear more like, well, a laser instead of a tracer bullet? Just a thought. I'm addicted to this game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 14, 2012, 6:37:56 PM
I just wanted to add my support to the OP's request too. I noticed that "make beam weapon graphics look like beams, not projectiles" hasn't been added to the suggestions/wishes tracking list sticky thread, so I just wanted to give this thread a bump.

Devs, any comment on this?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 14, 2012, 7:03:45 PM
I'll support this, as a physicist I always get slightly irritated when lasers are portrayed as glowing, slow moving projectiles. However I imagine it's also partly for balancing issues rather than having a virtually instaneous and pinpoint accurate weapon.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 14, 2012, 7:26:56 PM
Eve has some nice laser effects and sounds (yes, sound in space, I know)

I agree that the current lasers look close to the projectiles.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 14, 2012, 8:59:42 PM
I'd like to add my support for beam-lasers. First of all they would look hella cool. From a gameplay perspective, giving each weapons type a distinct visual style will let players easily identify what weapons the fleets are using.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 14, 2012, 9:23:55 PM
Well if we are going to be technical. A Laser would be pretty much invisible in space as it has nothing to bounce off except for the poor sod your shooting at. You would simply see a bright spot at the enemy ship. Still I would take beams over blasts. At least that more in line how it actually works. Even if its only sort of correct if you have atmospheric interference.

We also have a other thing to take in to consideration. Readability. The ability to see what we are actually firing. Why the Realistic Laser might not be the best choice. Still I would be very impressed with them if they can make it in a convincing manner that. And I am pretty sure it could be done I a satisfying and unique manner.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 4:29:00 AM
Beamlike lasers in the style of "Sin of a sollar Empire" of the battle commander ship of the human race could be great

One question, do the developper team think about a difference between race weapon?

Because, I difficultly belive that a race with a ship not even probable (Horatio for exemple) could have the same weapon as the United Empire with ship that look like boat (cool one)
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 6:12:09 AM
I agree with Dubb, Freespace-type beams would be an aesthetically excellent way to differentiate beam and projectile-type weapons.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 6:15:51 AM
BlazerMortis wrote:
now that i think about it, it would be nice to be better able to tell what is what in combat, visually speaking. sometimes, it's the little things. haha.

I totally agree with you! This would be really cool to see the difference between two battles when you add improvements on your ships. Like bigger beams or just bigger shields. Something like that!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 6:35:54 AM
for those that do not know the glory of freespace:

in retrospect... that looks exactly like an endless space battle shot (minus the beam)...
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 6:52:52 AM
Dubb wrote:
for those that do not know the glory of freespace:

in retrospect... that looks exactly like an endless space battle shot (minus the beam)...

Nice one there! I do agree they need to make battles more spectacular with explosions everywhere and laser beams blowing ships etc etc. That would make battles Epic!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 7:02:37 AM
I fully support proper beam weapons! Beamspam is my favourite kind of spam.

Still, not every energy weapon should have the "beam" effect. It should fit the description of the weapon tech at least in some way. Just my two units of Dust.

Oh, and Freespace is excellent. Go geth both 1&2 from GOG if you have missed them. Freespace 2 & Tie Fighter are my favourite spacesims of all time.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 7:04:27 AM
shhh I hate you !

now I saw the image, it brings back memories and I want to replay the freespace serie....
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment