Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

No pre-battle timer in Singleplayer

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Aug 10, 2012, 1:37:31 PM
I find the timer you get for choosing Auto/Manual before battles very frustrating when there are a lot of things happening.

I would like the option to remove this timer so that I can choose when and how I start my battles.

I understand why this could be a problem in Multiplayer games but in Singleplayer it should work just fine.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 10, 2012, 1:54:32 PM
I think the issue is that the game was designed with a multiplayer focus in mind (I think, anyway, fairly certain I read a dev say that). To that end, single-player isn't a real single player, as just multiplayer with all AI. It's like playing Left 4 Dead or Payday: The Heist alone. You're not quite supposed to, although you can, but you'll quickly see game mechanics that are annoying for just one player.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 10, 2012, 1:59:50 PM
It's not the same topic but there is a point which can be improved :

I had troubles with a pre-battle timer beginning while I was beginning a new battle. In that case, the second battle is always "auto" while I would have wanted to do it manualy, and then, in most cases, I just lose ships I needed...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 10, 2012, 2:30:45 PM
Even if the game was designed for MP it should not be hard to detect that you are actually only playing vs AI and then allow certain options that make life easier.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 10, 2012, 2:33:16 PM
noctoz wrote:
Even if the game was designed for MP it should not be hard to detect that you are actually only playing vs AI and then allow certain options that make life easier.

Or, it might be. I don't know about you, but I don't know much of anything about programming and coding. There actually could be some issue there.

The only solution I can think of would be to simply create an option to disable the timer while you're setting up the rest of the things for a new game. It'll probably slow multiplayer games down more for instnces when it's turned off, but singleplayer games won't have the issue anymore. It's a double-edged sword, the way I see it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 10, 2012, 2:40:06 PM
FinalStrigon wrote:
Or, it might be. I don't know about you, but I don't know much of anything about programming and coding. There actually could be some issue there.

The only solution I can think of would be to simply create an option to disable the timer while you're setting up the rest of the things for a new game. It'll probably slow multiplayer games down more for instnces when it's turned off, but singleplayer games won't have the issue anymore. It's a double-edged sword, the way I see it.

I'm Lead Programmer and Architect for Physics & Destruction systems in the Frostbite Engine so I should know a thing or two about programming and about games that run in both Single- and Multiplayer.

I don't see any drawbacks as long as it's optional. You could either have it as part of the setup when you create a game or you could simply have it as an option to turn that functionality off from the game menu.

Neither should be very hard to implement.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 10, 2012, 2:43:59 PM
noctoz wrote:
I'm Lead Programmer and Architect for Physics & Destruction systems in the Frostbite Engine so I should know a thing or two about programming and about games that run in both Single- and Multiplayer.

I don't see any drawbacks as long as it's optional. You could either have it as part of the setup when you create a game or you could simply have it as an option to turn that functionality off from the game menu.

Neither should be very hard to implement.

Alright, I was just expressing my opinion as one of the unenlightened smiley: stickouttongue Wish I did know more about computers...

But yeah, as an option in game set-up, I wouldn't imagine there would be too many issue in implementing it. They only drawback would be, in my opinion, people turning it off for multiplayer games. And that's so much of a drawback as, well, people will just have to understand that the price of being able to control every battle will be the possibility of longer turns in multiplayer games.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 10, 2012, 4:55:06 PM
I think this is a very good idea, I have lost several crucial battles and fleets because of this feature, an option to disable it would be most welcome smiley: smile
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment