Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Diplomacy and Allied Victory

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Mar 29, 2013, 9:39:51 AM
There was an interesting discussion about diplomacy in multiplayer. Taking inspiration from that thread (and without trying to necro it), I think diplomacy can use some tweaks so both single- and multiplayer modes can benefit.

Currently the only condition victory that isn't clearly quantified is the diplomacy victory. Another problem I found is that the game doesn't recognize (and reward) cooperation and teamwork, be it with another player or AI. I'm still new to the game and haven't played any multiplayer matches, but here's what I propose.

• Clearly quantify diplomacy score from each action, so players can develop a better strategy to achieve this victory condition.
  • Tweak Diplomacy Victory condition so that if all existing factions have become allied with one another, the player with highest diplomacy score within the alliance gets Diplomacy Victory.
  • Add "allied victory" to the end-game condition where another faction within the alliance scored a victory, so the game ends no longer with a binary "victory or defeat" scenario.

These suggestion stemmed from my Amoeba experience where it's can be hard to get a diplomatic victory before one of the AIs achieved another form of victory. With these changes, myself and other players who like to win the game by promoting unity, don't go unnoticed when an allied faction wins the game in which we contributed to make their victory possible.

There will also be more metagame introduced with such changes. Since a victory is "better" than an allied victory, players (and AI personalities) need to be more discrete in joining an alliance. And of course, this will be a boon to cooperative multiplayer games, too.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 4, 2013, 4:37:54 AM
+1. I've been a lurker for a while but I had to make an account to support this, it's really my only gripe about the game. Please implement!!
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 5, 2013, 2:53:42 PM
+1; though i'm not sure how a game with say cravers and pilgrims would be like due to their endless war trait.

I do like the idea of an alliance victory though. in most RTS you can leave alliances to do backstabbing, which is perfectly acceptable in ES too
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 8, 2013, 2:58:17 PM
Added the "tracked" tag to this thread: it is on our improve list but we have to see if we will be able to make it or not!

Thanks for the suggestion anyway - this has been brought up several times already. smiley: smile
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 8, 2013, 3:12:41 PM
Steph'nie wrote:
Added the "tracked" tag to this thread: it is on our improve list but we have to see if we will be able to make it or not!

Thanks for the suggestion anyway - this has been brought up several times already. smiley: smile

Well, this was the first one, if you remember: /#/endless-space/forum/28-game-design/thread/13072-fixed-diplomatic-status-for-mp smiley: wink
0Send private message
0Send private message
Comment