Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Modding wiki ?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 10:51:48 AM
Hello,

As we start seeing howtos and tutorials popping in the modding section of the forums, I was thinking maybe it would be better to find all these nice resources in some kind of wiki dedicated to modding ?

I know a wikia was started for the game, so maybe we could either use this existing one or wait for Amplitude to have a more dedicated medium if they planned to create one ?

Watcha think ?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 9:55:52 PM
I dunno, i mean, unity engine doesn't allow external resources, and thus i don't think major modding could be done, unless they got some patch or something major from ppl at unity... But maybe i'm wrong, and i hope so badly to be wrong smiley: cry
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 9:21:23 AM
Yes, and Amplimath said in one of his post these words:

"Modifying this data is one step, but you will want to create new elements. This is possible with this system, which should allow to create elements such as new system improvements, ship modules, heroes, resources, and many more. The only caveat concerns the link to graphical data, as described below."

Because if you look at your game folder, you'll notice that all the assets of the game (graphics, audio, music) are all compiled in a series of *.assets files produced by the unity engine, that is the game engine.

This engine does compile all the assets WITH the game, thus putting the game in condition to use only graphic and audio that are originally packed and compiled at the release time, which of course doesn't include all our possible and future mods smiley: smile

Edit: However modding parameters and values of the game should be doable smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 3:19:12 PM
I only asked about / requested one thing: External XML Entities. That way, developers or modders can chop XML files into smaller pieces, which will increase modularity and compability between future mods.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 7:03:55 AM
Scanno wrote:
Yes, and Amplimath said in one of his post these words:

"Modifying this data is one step, but you will want to create new elements. This is possible with this system, which should allow to create elements such as new system improvements, ship modules, heroes, resources, and many more. The only caveat concerns the link to graphical data, as described below."

Because if you look at your game folder, you'll notice that all the assets of the game (graphics, audio, music) are all compiled in a series of *.assets files produced by the unity engine, that is the game engine.

This engine does compile all the assets WITH the game, thus putting the game in condition to use only graphic and audio that are originally packed and compiled at the release time, which of course doesn't include all our possible and future mods smiley: smile

Edit: However modding parameters and values of the game should be doable smiley: smile

I believe this is what was said;

Adding new graphical / sound assets is more complex (although not impossible). We are discussing with Unity people (the technology we are using) what is the best way to incorporate new content that is not in the original project. Right now, Unity builds everything in a large asset bundle, so we must find the best way to add/take into account new files or bundles. More info on that soon.

It may well still be possible by using Unity. You may ( perhaps, won't know for sure until I learn Unity enough and actually try it) import the game asset files to Unity, then add any graphical and audio files then export a new asset file with your added assets for the game to use. Then add the relevant references to the xml. files. Probably more to it than that and getting everything right in Unity looks like its going to be a pretty steep learning curve (Note, the Dev's, who are professionals at this spend lots of time doing this sort of stuff), but unless the Dev's say it can't be done, I'd be thinking it will be possible.

In any case, a wiki's a good idea I think.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment