Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Honorverse Mod

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 10, 2012, 7:50:57 PM
How about an Honor Harrington mod? If there is any interest, I think it would be a great mod as nobody has made one for any game other than Starshatter. Anyway just thought I'd throw that out here. I have some ship art, but its only 2d, don't know if that would work. Anyways just would like to see something besides Star Trek and Star Wars!

Regards:

CaptainRockwellTorrysmiley: alder
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 10, 2012, 9:03:10 PM
The only problem I see with an Honorverse mod is that 'verse's tendency toward extremely long-range combat. At this point in the series, fleets are engaging from several light-seconds out, with barrages of 100k+ missiles being tossed about.

Seeing 'Honorverse' combat involving kinetic and beam weapons from the start, with combat STARTING at about 2 km, just wouldn't do the setting justice. Even changing beams and kinetics to short-only wouldn't fix the whole 'starting combat on top of each other' issue.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 11, 2012, 12:39:12 AM
Heh, I'm attempting some work on missile based battles, already managed to have multiple waves off missiles unleashed in one phase, I've significantly increased the long range duration too
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 16, 2012, 8:55:16 PM
Taliesyn wrote:
The only problem I see with an Honorverse mod is that 'verse's tendency toward extremely long-range combat. At this point in the series, fleets are engaging from several light-seconds out, with barrages of 100k+ missiles being tossed about.

Seeing 'Honorverse' combat involving kinetic and beam weapons from the start, with combat STARTING at about 2 km, just wouldn't do the setting justice. Even changing beams and kinetics to short-only wouldn't fix the whole 'starting combat on top of each other' issue.

Actually, I thought it would work great because of the long, medium and short range aspects of the combat. I know we couldn't really simulate the battles as being several light seconds out, but I think we could at least get the right feel. Starting with missle combat at long range, Grazers at medium and lasers and Grazers again at short. All other aspects should work well for the Honorverse though, just making the needed races and making some custom maps if possible and of course the ships.

Regards:

CaptainRockwellTorry
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 16, 2012, 8:58:16 PM
iblise wrote:
Heh, I'm attempting some work on missile based battles, already managed to have multiple waves off missiles unleashed in one phase, I've significantly increased the long range duration too

This sounds like the right direction! Hope to here more on your developments in this.

Regards:

CaptainRockwellTorry
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 18, 2012, 7:22:47 AM
I am a fan of the Honor Harrington series, and I would enjoy this. That being said - it might be a case of needing permissions. Not only from the perspective of David Weber but also Ad Astra games which has the official rights to Honor Harrington setting for a set of boardgame / miniatures play. But ... I would like to see it if only from a skins / race type thing.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 18, 2012, 1:11:57 PM
Far as I know, they'll never give premission to allow a full conversion to the Honorverse, its been shot down many many times in SINS. However, creating something inspired by the honorverse is entirely fine. Besides, there is the entire impossible mass issue with the honorverse :P
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 7:18:52 PM
iblise wrote:
Far as I know, they'll never give premission to allow a full conversion to the Honorverse, its been shot down many many times in SINS. However, creating something inspired by the honorverse is entirely fine. Besides, there is the entire impossible mass issue with the honorverse :P

Yes, there is an issue with permissions. Mr. Webber has stated he doesn't care, but the book's publisher does. It can be done as long as you call it something else though, and don't use any copyrighted work. What impossible mass issue are you referring to? I'm not sure endless space even takes something like that into acount. The mods for Sins could have been realized if the modders had just called it something else and not made it an offical Honorverse mod. As far as Ad Astra is concerned, I have those games, talk about an impossible mass issue! You have to be a math genius even to get through a single turn! But the nice thing about board games you can mod them yourself to a system that's usable quite easily. Also, there is a mod all ready available for an older game.

CaptainRockwellTorry
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 20, 2012, 4:15:25 PM
RE: Impossible mass issue - see here: http://www.suramya.com/mirror/Downloads/baen/CD/09-AtAllCostsCD/GreatResizing.htm

With that out of the way...

I agree with the people who said that the feel would be similar, especially if you dragged out the long phase. My first thought about this sort of thing was actually that, if you can change it so you have long-range missiles in the missile accuracy slot and short-range missiles in the beam accuracy slot and then repurpose kinetics to beams. (I'd probably also push missile-accuracy weapons up the tech tree some...) However, since perfect fidelity isn't allowed anyway for legal reasons, just keeping things the way they are and making the long segment take a lot longer seems like it'd work well. If you want to simulate the shifting armament focus, make the missile damage ramp a lot steeper, and make the later missiles fly faster, too.

Short range is where you pull out that grav lance that never really worked well and toss energy torpedoes at the target. smiley: wink

Just my thoughts on this...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 20, 2012, 4:55:49 PM
Well, that means the publisher is an idiot. The mod developer comunity never charges anything for their work because they basicaly make mods for themselves and for ppl by their own good will to tribute those creative minds who did something worth watching\reading\playing etc. In this case- mr. Webber. The mod won't affect the income of the publisher by any means, but could be quite opposite- draw attention to the books. Still I believe the Honourverse mod is a must for this game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 20, 2012, 5:58:10 PM
rickynumber24 wrote:
RE: Impossible mass issue - see here: http://www.suramya.com/mirror/Downloads/baen/CD/09-AtAllCostsCD/GreatResizing.htm

With that out of the way...

I agree with the people who said that the feel would be similar, especially if you dragged out the long phase. My first thought about this sort of thing was actually that, if you can change it so you have long-range missiles in the missile accuracy slot and short-range missiles in the beam accuracy slot and then repurpose kinetics to beams. (I'd probably also push missile-accuracy weapons up the tech tree some...) However, since perfect fidelity isn't allowed anyway for legal reasons, just keeping things the way they are and making the long segment take a lot longer seems like it'd work well. If you want to simulate the shifting armament focus, make the missile damage ramp a lot steeper, and make the later missiles fly faster, too.

Short range is where you pull out that grav lance that never really worked well and toss energy torpedoes at the target. smiley: wink

Just my thoughts on this...

Yes, I'm aware of the mass sizeing issue, I was just making a joke when referring to it about the Saganami Tactical Simulator. I think your ideas about combat sound right on, I don't know quite yet how everthing works in the game, but I think you and Iblise are on the right track to make the games mechanics work for combat. As far as races go I would suggest either the Sheredyn or the Pilgrams for say the kingdom of New Britain and the united Empire for The Republic of New Paris, or something like that. And of course the Horatio would fit perfect for a Mesan race of clones. Solly's I'm not sure about, but I'm sure something would work. As far as art work there is plenty of fan work available, as long as its not referred to as a certain person or character. But the ships would require a good 3D modeller, which I'm afraid I have no experiance or ability at. I can certainly provide technical data on the various starships and weapons though, and will gladly give any help I can to see this happen.

Regards:

Captain Rockwell Torry
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 1, 2012, 5:51:18 PM
Sorry, guys, haven't been out hear in a while. Bought some new games, Armada 2526 and Sword of the Stars Complete, and haven't been following this much lately. Still looks like there is alot to figure out about modding this game yet.

Regards:

Captain Rockwell Torry
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment